Hello.
I've been putting off posting because I have wanted the next post to be THE BEFORE and AFTER of our kitchen. I owe you! I love the new look. I WANT to share! But then when I'm at home with my laptop and my pictures, I never have the juice to do that task. Maybe tonight? (Don't get your hopes up.)
Summer's awesome, right? Summer's all relaxing and no homeworking and wonderful easy, light dinners, later than usual because it's still sunny out at 7:30 pm. Right? Except summer's kinda busy, too. We just got back from our annual Memorial Day road trip to Nanny's, we are taking AJ down to his grandparents' house this weekend, and then the next is OUR week off at the beach, and meanwhile, Stupid Work is ramped up to eleven and there seems to be another birthday party , with another GIFT to buy dagnabit, every weekend. And we have to plan our own AJ's party and get invites sent BEFORE we go out of town, because his falls right after we return. Gah! Not that I ever get stressed out or anything.
Camp is going well -- AJ is occupied all day, having fun with friends, and runs into his sister sometimes. They both love seeing each other at school. I asked him, theoretically, if he'd prefer 1) Me working at home so he could play all day at home (with friends, of course), and we'd go to the pool Every Day of Summer, or 2) Camp (at the daycare). He chose Camp. I'm fascinated. I would have chosen POOL EVERY DAY when I was a kid. Of course, my kid's not yet a confident swimmer (although he's getting better and better). A friend told me her two kids reported the same: Camp. This generation wants to be occupied and entertained, I suppose. And that's fine... it just doesn't match up to the lazy, "I'm BORED" kind of (wonderful) summers I remember, with Green Acres on TV and the public library's summer reading program.
We have been to the neighborhood pool twice now. I love it. I'm so happy we paid the $400 Association fee to join it. I mean, yeah, that was a painful check to write, but having pool access is just awesome. Even if I DON'T get to sit in a lounge chair with my book. It's because KT won't wear her floaties so I'm nervous about her being in the water without me, and AJ is still just getting his feet wet (pun!) about swimming. I'm unsure what would happen if he let go of the pool noodle, and imagining that gives me nightmares, literally. The other night I bolted awake TWICE because in my dream it was time to JUMP over and save him from drowning. Ack. I hope I'll get over this fear someday -- it's a doozie. Tell me I'll get over it. Please.
My birthday this weekend was lovely. Facebook was partly to thank with its 120-something wishes! I loved checking in every so often, and I got random greetings from so many fun people from my past. My college chorus director! My theater friend from 1990! My buddy who lives in Antarctica and said he wished he worked with me right now, so we could have a "professional brithday party." (Cake in the conf. room) Hahahahaha! Marvelous! DH gave me a sweet card, in which he wrote that I'm "his good ol' gal," hee hee, a little pet phrase that I adore (and hate, but really adore), and he went out at 8:00 am to buy me coffee from Starbucks. I almost refused him that, but thought - NO! He wants to pamper me this morning, I WILL TAKE IT!! So sweet. He also gave me 2 tickets to see Guys and Dolls downtown in August, and I am THRILLED about that. It's one of my favorites. He'll have to endure a musical ("people don't just BREAK INTO SONG, it's unnatural"), but I hope he'll think it's worth it when he sees me so happy -- and besides, a NIGHT OUT to look forward to! Superb gift.
8 comments:
Oh, man. I just left this ridiculously long comment and lost it. I'm taking it as a sign from above, since it had a lot of complaining in it. I'll just say ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! (That's what I get for staying off facebook for a week -- I missed it!)
I missed your birthday! Happy day friend!
I hope things slow down at some point and you do get a bit of lazy summer days.
That is a FABULOUS gift! Glad your day was so great.
I am hoping for some lazier summer days soon too - ours have been very busy as of late as well.
Re: the swimming fear: Gah, I hope that someday it passes, because I am pretty much paralyzed with fear over it every time. Does KT go in alone? Maddie still requires a person to hold her, she's not confident enough yet - I'm way impressed by KT's skills, water wings or no! What a big kid!
I wish we had continuous pool access too, although my big sis DID just buy a house with a pool, so... :)
B, it takes her a long time to want to come NEAR the water, but once she (gets hot enough and) decides to sit on the steps, she has a good time. Mostly lies on her tummy at the top. Yesterday was the first time (out of 2) that she let me walk around with her --holding on to my neck for DEAR LIFE.
They are still really young for it, imho, but I saw kids at the pool where we took lessons, 3-yr-olds, jumping right in with floaties, no fear. Interesting.
Lily (3) loves the pool! She wears arm floaties and jumps in and swims all around. Obviously we are always watching her, but she is very independent and doesn't need us. Much different from my older kids at that age. I have nightmares about drowning too. Summer is full of anxiety for me. I truly have to pray to be freed from that anxiety so we can have fun.
Holy cow, that's a painful check. We are so grateful that our dues are so reasonable!
goodness its been what? YEARS since I read your/ANY blog, so blame it on me getting email notifications about someone responding to a blog your BFF wrote 4ish years ago and here I am. ANYWAY, I just wanted to say that AJ's 3rd cousin also has a confidence issue with the pool AND he has been in lessons since April (not to mention last summer as well) and he is STILL in the beginner class .. he can do it all just FEARS the part of the pool he cant reach .... BUT I must say is fine in our neighborhood pool and I can sit on a chair and watch him (as he stays in the shallow end and the other kids enjoy jumping into the deep end and he could not care any less) ... so anyway, lets see if I remember my google account sign in :)
yay, I remembered ... perhaps I should write that down somewhere:)
Happy Summer to y'all!!
Post a Comment