I am strangely addicted to yet another BravoTV hit, The Real Housewives of Orange County. Show of hands: Anyone? It's a love-hate thing for me -- these women are portrayed as whiny, bitchy, have-it-alls -- and I do mean ALL, we're talking millions of gadollars here. Exactly the type of person that makes me gag.... yet I can't. stop. watching. (Not meaning to judge, of course, because I certainly have everything I could ever want or need and *I* certainly whine and bitch, but you know what I mean.)
Last night rewarded my enduring XBox Live and hockey all week (love you Honey, and there's nothing else on anyway) with TWO episodes. In the first, they were having a Botox Party at a local plastic surgeon's office, complete with sushi, wine, and free consultations. Now I'm no expert on plastic surgeons, but um.... it seems to me if the invitation said they were going to seduce me with fancy wine in a big glass and THEN conduct my free consultation, I would notice that *something is fishy about this.* Sure enough, once the 39-year-old housewife was drunk enough, she thought everything the doctor said was either hysterical or GOSPEL TRUTH. She "wasn't planning to have anything done, but after the doctor told me I needed this lift and that lift..." she jumped right up onto the table for a Botox injection right then and there.
Brilliant of the doctor, I guess. I should give him credit for being a smart businessman and knowing his customers.
The second episode was the 39-year-old's 40th birthday party in which she MOANED and CRIED and RENT HER GARMENTS about turning 40, on her yacht... until her husband presented her with a BIG FAKE "I spent my last few dollars on this" Diamond encrusted -- no, Diamond Covered Rolex. And oh, ho, ho, by "last few" he meant "forty-thousand." The other women, in their confessional scenes where they speak directly to the camera, were all, "It's a rite of passage to receive your first (diamond) Rolex." BWAHH HAHAHAHAHA! God, they are funny. My first Fossil must be the middle-class equivalent. (I love my Fossil.)
After that, she didn't mind being forty so much, though. Go fig. Time to get drunk again, she said, pass the champagne.
It does sort-of bother me that they're calling all these women "housewives" when a) most of them have housecleaners and gardeners and pool-boys, which I'm not sure but I think means they don't fit the traditional definition of the word housewife. And b) two of them aren't even married, they've been divorced for more than 10 years each. ("You keep using dat word... I do not tink it means what you tink-a it means.") In Season One there was a single girl on the show who happened to be dating a very rich Orange County guy whose money she spent hither and yon. Dear Bravo: NOT A HOUSEWIFE.
To think, this used to be the network that showed intelligent, arthouse movies and James Lipton.
And yet... I'm a bit excited that they're doing a New York City spin-off this spring.
4 comments:
I've watched it a few times. Uck. It's so totally disgusting and embarassing with the excess that it almost doesn't seem REAL.
Of course I'll watch the NYC one though. I mean, DUH.
I love this show. I KNOW. I AM AWFUL. But I am sitting here kicking myself because I missed these episodes! Gah! Lucky for me Bravo will run them 100 more times...
Ok, i've watched bits and pieces of this show too, but I never paid attention to what channel/time it was on (i always caught it while flipping) and i seriously think it would be addictive. Like, whats that show about the tanning salon? With the two very not smart sisters on there? yeah. I've watched that one a few times too. Major guilty pleasure.
It is funny that they call them "real housewives". That would be nice, right?
oooh...a New York version?! That will be awesome. Then maybe a New Jersey version, perhaps? I do like it, but this season, they are all wearing on my nerves. That Tamra or whatever her name is...seriously messed up. But what a trainwreck!
Post a Comment