I get so DOWN, during the Monday morning routine/commute. When I'm walking back out of the daycare after dropping off the kids, I sigh and feel a little sad. Driving to work I fret about facing a big, stupid to-do list of things I dislike. I typically feel okay about the work week by Tuesday, because it's just something I do, but on Mondays, ugh.
I know it's because we have the nicest weekends. This one was especially pleasant: both tantrum- and ear infection-free. I think part of that was the absence of my laptop. I left it in the car all weekend. Out of sight, out of AJ's mind, so there was no inquiry about "can I do my work?" nor subsequent whining when the Mean Old Parents responded, "Not right now." Surprisingly, there were also no naps -- but still no tantrums. He must be on his best behavior because he knows Santa is watching. MAN, I LOVE THAT GAG.
We decorated the house this weekend. Yesterday while I was winding garland around the stair rails on the front porch, I thought, "Who am I doing this for? The pizza guy and the UPS man." I would love to host parties... wait, no... one party would probably be enough... but our relatives are coming for the ACTUAL holiday, and that's probably all we can handle. It'd be nice to do impromptu entertaining. DH and I lament that our neighbor-relationships aren't like some, where you can pop in and enjoy each other's casual friendship. Maybe I could think of SOMEONE to have over for just a little dessert and hot cocoa. Because unless we spend atypical time with friends and family, why IS IT the "most wonderful time of the year?" It's NOT, in a word. It's the most stressful! You have to counterbalance that with something of hospitality and fun, I think. We should do it on a weeknight. Easy breezy. Cookies and candy canes.
And there, in three paragraphs, I have altered my mood somewhat, from frowny to hopeful. Time for warm oatmeal.
8 comments:
When Madison is crying on Mondays because I'm leaving, I am not happy. I know it's okay, probably good for her that Mommy who watches me every minute I'm around is gone, but still.
Our house is also VERY decorated, except there's just a tree stand where there will soon be a tree.
Maybe you should invite the neighbor kids over for desserts and hot chocolate at 5:30. right before dinner. I hear thats popular in your neck of the woods.
Ha ha! Good call. And also, I was just kidding, my mood is still crappy. Bah.
Sounds ike you need a good doe of whats going on over at The Yankee's Guide!
Truly not meant to be a plug - just mood lifting advice!
You know what I keep meaning (and failing) to throw is a Card Addressing Party. Like, everyone bring their cards and address books and stamps, and we'll all sit around my big dining room table and drink hot chocolate with candy canes in it, and eat cookies and listen to holiday music. Either it's a huge success and nobody gets any work done, or it's not a huge success and at least we get our cards addressed!
Way to change your attitude so quickly. :)
We don't have a relationship with our neighbors that encourages dropping in either. We have that with some friends though. Just not neighbors.
we dont even have neighbors that invite us over for prebirthdayparty parties at dinner time ... we dont even have neighbors that LOOK at us ... but I love the dessert and cocoa idea!!!!!!
also, YAY for weekends with out tantrums!!!!
Ooooo...Swistle's party idea sounds like fun! And MaryB's comment cracks me up! And I'm all exclamation pointy this afternoon!
Seriously, Monday is just a hard day. I'm guilty of spending quite a bit of the work day surfing blogs and playing on facebook (am suddenly addicted to myFarm). Tuesday seems to be when I really kick it in gear.
Post a Comment