Friday, May 15

7 Quick Takes Friday


1-- I think I'm fully conditioned to the demands of my job, finally. Know how I know? I'm back to my normal amount of (too much) time reading blogs. Ha! And, hooray!! It was awful when I felt so overwhelmed that even 10 minutes in the morning was too indulgent/guilt-inducing!

2-- I know you're disappointed, but my friend Yatt has been mostly out of the office this week. I think she was sick. Unfortunate. Your entertainment will just have to wait.

3-- I read a whole book last weekend. It was "Happens Every Day" by Isabel Gillies, which I thought was going to be a good book to review for my job (we recommend books to our audience of women). It's not a good recommendation, though. We try to showcase uplifting or informative books. This book was interesting -- I definitely dove into it and ignored my children to flip its pages last Saturday -- but uplifting? No. It's about a divorce-in-progress. I was mad at the main character because she never lambasted her jerk husband the way she should have. ANYWAY, I'm back into reading books, too, I think. This weekend I'll be reading three if I can manage! I just started "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch; Book Club's next selection is "Edgar Sawtelle," which I'm anxious to buy, maybe today; and I need to read "Nordie's at Noon" for work. I think all three are going to be awesome. ALSO on my list for the next month or so: some of the great books I got for Christmas, and one that SDW lent me AGES ago! I have big dreams of 28-hour days, apparently. Buth hooray for reading!

4-- My very LEAST favorite part of being a grown-up is managing health insurance plans. First-world whine, I know, and even in the U.S., so many people don't even have insurance, or have red-tape Medicare/caid... I really shouldn't complain. But because we both work, we're always having to compare plans (see, one-working-parent-families? Betcha didn't think of that bonus - no analytic work for insurance, just fill out the forms of your one option!). Currently we're all on DH's insurance. But I'm now eligible for my company's plan. Naturally, Open Enrollment is not conveniently scheduled at the same time of year for both companies, so the problem becomes: Do we switch in the middle of the year? I feel like we're always on new insurance anyway lately, with the way businesses are having to renegotiate rates every year because health care's so expensive. But all the COMPARING of PLANS. GAH. HAAAAAAATE. I'm apt do the easy/lazy thing and just stick with what we have, and not even investigate which plan is the most cost-efficient for us. (That loud THUD you just heard is my Dad falling out of his chair in dismay... sorry, Dad.)

5-- This is a Trader Tuesday item but I can't wait 'til then. I have a low-fat trick for great-tasting green beans (canned of course). Simmer them with 1 cube of bouillon. To me, they taste every bit as rich as when you cook them with butter and S&P. But -- no fat! Does everyone know that or is it just my genius mother?

6-- 138 today and I have been hungry a lot this week. But I'll take the loss!

7-- Does anyone else like Chadwick's? I do, but their prices seem higher than they used to be. I mean, $29.99 for a blouse (sleeveless, no less)? That feels to me like a Talbot's price, not a Chadwick's price. Disappointing.


More Quick Takes here. Happy weekend!

7 comments:

nicole said...

Very curious about "Fallen Skies." Must share what you think when you are done. I have been reading too many books focused on war lately and need a change.

Syl said...

Hmm the blouse is now $24.99, if that makes it ebtter.

And insurances oh my God, worse when I egt paid weekly and husband is bhiweekly ebcause I have to double what they show I have to pay to be able to compare it to his and in the end, I just picked his over mine because it looked better.

P.S. found you via Jess's blog

Lee said...

Hi, Syl! *waving*

Anonymous said...

I am terribly lazy about health insurance as well. Every time my company has a meeting or sends out memos it's like my brain automatically shuts off. Ugh. Luckily we have an awesome HR dept that can help me out... otherwise I'm pretty sure I'd make NO decisions whatsoever. :)

sdw said...

Cool -- I'll start coming here for reviews of uplifting books. Not reading much right now, though. I think you are a better time manager than I am.

Health insurance -- can they make it any more confusing and difficult to compare????

Heather of the EO said...

I just leave all that insurance stuff to my husband. I know, mean.

We don't have Chadwick's here. Isn't that sad? :)

This Heavenly Life said...

YOU GET TO READ FOR WORK?! Just...awesome.

Oooh, the health insurance. Nasty nasty stuff. Hubby tries to discuss these things with me, and I just fade away. Kinda like balancing the checkbook - fade - away -

I loved Boleyn Inheritance the best of all the boleyn series. I think mainly because it was the one storyline that I didn't know anything about already. Happy reading!