Wednesday, May 6

More about Biggest Loser

I can't say enough about how this show inspires people. Most of this season's contestants were previously inspired by watching the show, and that's fantastic. I think it's a service NBC is providing to Americans, for sure. (I know that on Wednesdays, I'm guilted into working out after spending two hours watching every Tuesday! Sometimes I even lift hand weights while watching, I'm so guilted!) And I'm always glad that they show the doctors and ensure that everything they're doing is safe and medically sound. Basically the contestants are taken from couch potatoes to professional athletes in just a few months, for those of you who don't watch.

So, I know it's about the drama, and that the contestants are obese, not just a little overweight, and it's the visual impact of the stunning before and after photos that makes the show so compelling. But I wish they'd spend some time emphasizing that not everyone has to have such dramatic results like these. They need to remind the average couch potato that just taking a walk every day will HELP THEM, will improve their health and lengthen their lives. It's not just about being skinny. And that most of us won't have 6 hours a day dedicated to working out -- and SHOULDN'T, unless we're medically supervised.

I haven't done a lot of looking around on the BL website, but I hope they have sensible advice for regular people. I'm sure they do. I just wish they'd say those things on the show a little more.

An update on my own "weight removal journey" -- I saw that recently and thought it was great. If it's a "weight loss," there's the possibility of finding it again! "weight removal" seems more permanent -- Anyway, I am 7 pounds away from my weight goal. And I can TOTALLY remove another 7 pounds. I haven't been logging calories in a long time. And I haven't been doing cardio as regularly as I should. BUT if I start this week and really try to lose 1 pound per week, I can do it by Beach Week. Wouldn't that be awesome?! Isn't this the looooonnnnngest stupid 15-pound weight-loss-journey that ever WAS??

-----------------------

Yatt's BAYBEE is in da house!! (I will reluctantly admit that she's a pretty cute baby, AND I'm slightly jealous because she is named "M e gan," which is a name I love but DH wouldn't let me use. On the other hand, now I have a reason to like the name slightly less.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww! Cute babies TOTALLY make up for annoying coworkers! You should definitely go steal her away for a bit so she can know what normal people are like. ;)

GO YOU on the weight loss! I'm still in the middle of that journey - my gym time has been really limited lately, and DH and I have to figure out how to fix it. I'm going to have to start watching Biggest Loser, I think! People are always talking about it but I've never really watched. You've convinced me!

maggie said...

LOVE Biggest Loser. I especially liked this week when Jillian was all, "Okay, we're going to work out, and then we're going to get a DRINK." And Tara was all, "A DRINK?" That is totally me. I am so all or nothing and I really liked the balance message (even though there's no way I'd ever be working out 6 hrs a day OMG.)

You can do it!

nicole said...

You go on that weight removal. You can totally do it. I almost always workout on Tuesdays because I know I will be watching BL that night and don't want to feel lazy. I'm with you--emphasize the sensible, easy things that can be done at home to help people. I'm more inspired by their endurance and commitment than the actual weight loss.

And also, yea for the drinks! Maggie is so right--it was good to show that. I often say I don't like exercising, but I like eating a whole lot more than I dislike exercise. I work out so I can eat what I want (which I should be making better choices).

Shauna said...

So jealous that you are 7 pounds away from your goal...I need to jump back on the weight loss - or REMOVAL - bandwagon!

Mandy said...

I like the name Megan too .. but, seriously.. KT's name is sooo awesomely beautiful:) (and her mother isnt annoying!!)

Lindsay said...

yeaaaa biggest loser is where it's at. I think ron's story is particularly meaningful that as parents, as hard as it may be, it's important to model how you should take care of yourself in terms of what you eat.

Who cares how long your journey is...just keep plugging away! Excellent work thus far!

Anonymous said...

Love the Biggest Loser! However, I was disappointed with the winner (IMHO, she was too thin)The BL theme song is on my ipod and I listen to it as I warm up...totally motivating!

And BTW, my daughter's name is Megan :)