Monday, July 18

When we painted our kitchen (the oft-mentioned Before & After!)

It took us 3 months, March - May, to actually complete this project, and it has now taken me three more months, May - July, to post any photos about it, despite really, really wanting to. And then this morning I had the post nearly finished, when Blogger decided to eat it. Drat!! I'll try again. MAY I PRESENT:


Our Kitchen and Den, Newly Painted, a photo essay.


(click pics to enlarge)



First, a "Before" shot. Please ignore the people in the foreground (mah baybee! so wittle!) and notice, instead, the details of the walls behind them. Our floral border. Our cornflower blue. Our dusty and heinous Big Blue Checkered Window Shade! The lovely plastic collander atop the cabinet! Weep a little for me, letting myself live this way for 8 1/2 years! Dumb me.


And behold, "After."

I couldn't have removed the construction-paper artwork from the dishwasher before taking this photo?!? (head smack), but here it is, finished. That's Valspar "Labrador." I thought it would possibly make the formica cabinets stand out worse than before, but I don't think it does. I found the exact number of dark wicker baskets, at the exact height I needed, to store things like plastic collanders around the top. So much neater. And I'm in love with the blind on the window. Should have definitely done THAT 8 1/2 years ago.

Just another shot of the countertop. Banana, anyone? You can see here where the Labrador ends and the "Hopsack" begins. I adore the name Hopsack. And the color, too.





Have to show one small detail. I'm not a Decorator, nor did I really care for most of the kitchen decor things I was seeing in stores, but because I have two ceramic roosters/chickens that belonged to my Grandmother, I was happy to also find these little rooster bookends. A theme! I'm trying not to go overboard with it but I like the red accent it brings to the room, and I did buy red dishtowels, as well.




Finally, the pantry door and the den. We did Hopsack on top and Labrador on the bottom. It's calming and creamy and we still love it. I haven't bought shelves to put on that big wall, but I will. And of course now I need new couches. :) Projects beget projects, don't they? Wonder how long it will be before we do another one? (Acutally, I'm anxious to paint my master bath now. Probably with the same colors. I'll let you know when it's done. HahahahatalktoyounextFebruary.)

5 comments:

Sherry said...

Good golly. That's truly amazing. I don't think I'll ever manage a home project that big ever again. Way to go!

bessie.viola said...

Wow! I love the transformation! That Labrador color is lovely, and red as an accent is a GREAT choice. Nice work!

Alice said...

isn't it great how a new paint job completely transforms a room?? speaking of, now that you're an old hand at this, would you please come paint MY dining/living room please? thanks so much :)

MaryB said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE!!

Bravo! I know it is a total PIA - but SO worth it!

nicole said...

Good job! I think the living room looks especially great with the two colors.