Friday, September 23

Rain last night

It poured rain during the night. Enough to wake both kids and bring them, shivering, to our room. I don't mind so much when they come in during a storm. It makes me smile, almost; I think it's one of the blessings of parenthood to be considered the safest and most comforting person/place, when thunder makes the house shake. And it comforts ME to have to comfort them, you know? It's the one time I kind-of do wish we had a king-sized bed.

I've always liked storms -- not that they don't sometimes scare me, too. But since I was a child, I've sort-of enjoyed being awake, even if it's 2:00 in the morning. I think the unexpectedness of them is what makes them interesting. You just don't know when the next crack! is going to happen -- not even when the lightning gives warning. Could be 7 seconds later, could be right away. And Jennifer once wrote about how she prays in thanksgiving for her home, however modest, when it's coming down cats and dogs outside. YES. What a comfort to also hear the hum of the fridge or the AC cutting on, when outside all the "hum" is loudly interrupted with unpredictable fury (or even gentle drizzle). How thankful I am for our solid shelter. For a warm bed.

And for extra bodies sharing my pillow.

----------------------------------

(Of course, after a while I did have to move myself to AJ's room. There was a 3-year-old leg thrown over my neck.)

1 comment:

bessie.viola said...

There is nothing cozier than family snuggle time in bed. Nothing. :)

I love that feeling too, when Madeline is afraid and comes running and I can fix it. Oh, it's such a strong bonded feeling.