Tuesday, June 19

Time for wishing it were so...

I absolutely have an idealized memory of my summer vacations as a kid - a whole lot of doing nothing, jumping on the trampoline, playing with the neighbors, "free as a bird" free time. And watching TV.

But Swistle's awesome Summer Regimens post yesterday made me remember what I wanted to write about summertime activities. First of all, in my comment over there, I said I distinctly remember piano practice being the one summer activity I had to do that felt like work. I know my Mom didn't force the issue -- she was not a Tiger Mom -- but I do remember thinking, "It's summer! I shouldn't HAVE to do anything!" when it came to music practice. (There was probably violin practice required in there somewhere, which I hated infinitely more than piano practice.)

I loved reading books, doing the library's summer programs, vacation bible school, playing tennis and swimming lessons.

What I wanted to write about summertime was: I am SO GLAD sometimes that I don't have to entertain my kids every day of the summer! I would totally put them in the least expensive daycamps I could find, as often as possible, because GAH! They're bad enough on Saturdays and Sundays! I would have to think of things like daily worksheet time (thank goodness for printables), and once a week experiments (which would likely just be "baking"), and I think I WOULD have to institute certain times of day for certain things. Like chores! OH YES, I would institute chores-time. And TV-time, all other time being NO TV-time.

My kids are whiners, that's for sure, and if they weren't in daycare/camp, they would whine about being boooooooored. I am certain of it. 

The more I think about it, the more exact my plan starts to become. And I guess this would have been true if I had been a stay-at-home Mom before my kids were in school. (KT starts pre-K this fall so the time for my wishing it were so is effectively over. Can you believe that?) I really would have -- I've always said this -- been a meticulous planner about our schedules. Possibly too much.

So maybe, after all these years, looking back, I'm thankful for having been a working mom.(Maybe.)



3 comments:

nicole said...

We so desperately need a regimen. I'm sort of piecing one together as we go. Except when I'm not. Kind of wish I had signed kids up for various camps. One is doing soccer camp, but that's about it, at least right now.

Tess said...

You know, I never ONCE wished to be a SAHM before Ava started school, but I find myself wishing it occasionally now! I HATE SUMMER! The logistics and the guilt and the GAH! You're right, I wouldn't want to be entertaining her all day (even WORSE when there's only one), but I wish we could do half-day camps and long vacations and stuff like that. Sigh.

bessie.viola said...

HA! I love that last comment... I always wish I were a SAHM too, until I'm home for like two weeks and pulling my hair out. (Maternity leave should be SUPER exciting!) I'm going to have to go look at this post, because even just with summer weekends I feel more obligated to be Doing Exciting/Stimulating/Enriching Things!

(Also: KT. SAY IT ISN'T SO. PRE-K???)