Friday, March 21

This week in buying and selling...

The inspector found issues with our house, which we knew was part of the process, and we knew would not be 100% A-OK, everything looks perfect.... but has been one large cause of our stress this week. Many of the issues are bullsh*tty, I think, like saying "The fire alarm in the downstairs hallway DOESN'T WORK AND NEEDS to be REPAIRED OR REPLACED." Well, no, it doesn't need replacing, jerkface, it probably needs a new battery. I know that it's his job to report everything and to make the buyer BEWARE, but geez. It needs a battery. He commented on everything from foundation to retaining wall to a clogged bathtub drain to possible critters in the attic (also bullsh*t, imho), and can you tell we're feeling defensive about it all?? Urgh. We have to address -- or as our agent says, "get answers about" -- the foundation issues. There's a pretty large crack in the garage floor that I will admit is kinda disconcerting, now that he mentioned it, and I guess our back deck isn't quite level and blah-dee-blah. We're trying to coordinate a meeting with a structural engineer. Joy. I look forward to the day, truly, when all of this is just a bad memory of a tough time. I had a small vision that this is what we'll be doing someday -- looking back and saying, "Yeah, that was awful." [implied: But it's over now and we're much, much happier and better off.]

On the flip side of the coin, I gave up on the house mentioned previously with all of its issues. (Hey, at least our issues were hidden...?) There's another one in that same neighborhood and we're more inclined to like it, now, although I still don't love it. I want to love it. I want to FEEL something. I haven't yet felt anything and it doesn't seem like much new inventory is becoming available. Somehow, me checking my email four hundred times a day isn't making new ones appear. ?!? I know. But it's the first week of Spring, surely there will be something soon. SURELY.

Long story short: The clock's ticking.

The Marietta real estate scene will mostly have to get along without us this weekend, though. We're off to Savannah to visit Shawn's Mom and Dad. His Dad's been ill for what feels like a really long time, and I know his Mom needs a break. I wish we could do more to give her one, but maybe a bit of sunshine in the form of grandchildren will be a help. Maybe I can let her dog out in the mornings this weekend, so she gets to actually sleep in with no interruption.

No comments: