I've been searching for whatever heart-filling, peaceful glow I had a few weeks ago, I guess the remnants from Christmas Day (perfect day) and getting to spend all that time with the kids and my darling husband and parents, and reading that Drummer Girl essay that said "you are enough, just as you are..." and I'm not finding it, really. I suppose the hustle and bustle of the regular schedule is back - not that I feel overly rushed, just stepping in time to the rhythm of our days.
Monday, bummer of a day (always), work pitifully because my heart's never in it, 'til 4:30 and then homework, dinner, baths, bed, laundry. Tuesday, work, rush to carpool, homework, Kate to gymnastics (love), dinner, baths, bed. Wednesday, long day at work, pickup Alex, Kate to choir, Alex to piano lessons (NEW! more below!), homework, figure out something for dinner, bed, TV/laundry. Thursday, more of same, choir practice (dread going, enjoy once there). Friday, (almost finished good feelings), work, pickup kids, hope for dinner out somewhere easy like Chili's (kids have complained we're going to the nearby Mexican place too often, heh), crash on couch, FIN. Saturday and Sunday are busier still, errands and chores (sometimes I don't feel like Shawn or I ever sit down).
Routine is good, though. The kids are better with the routine and school. Summer's approaching fast, eeks, gotta get on that and start planning (again. already.), but for now we're in the thick of it. Fifth grade and first grade. Music lessons. Winter. It's good.
Alex - Piano! Yayyyyyy! When we quit jiu jitsu in June, we were either lazy or else we deliberately let him take a break from activities during the first semester. I'd like to think it was deliberate, but there was also an element of he-wasn't-interested-in-anything much. But during the fall, we'd say, "In January, we'll find you something new to try. Music lessons, or soccer, or something." And he grabbed onto the idea of piano lessons. I think the fact that his cousin Joey is a natural pianist has a big influence. I was, of course, thrilled, and have wanted the kids in music lessons for a long time (parenting FAIL until now!), because I know how good it was for me. BUT I didn't know how to find a good teacher. I emailed one or two last summer, after reading reviews/websites, and didn't hear back. Disappointing. Talked to a family friend about their teacher, who requires costumes and speaking parts of all her recital participants twice a year... NO THANKS. Don't have time for that nonsense! So last week, one day after school I thought, let's just try the local instrument store and see what they have. They had one opening on the very next day, with the teacher I thought looked best on their brochure. Boom. Signed Alex up and he is doing SO WELL after 2 half-hour lessons! (i didn't sign Kate up because she's doing choir for the first time this year, and it works out because now Alex will be "ahead" of her if she does ever start piano; that'll be good for his older-brother mentality/esteem.) Bastien Piano series for Beginners, which is how I learned, too, when I was five. :) He's surprised the teacher with how fast he's getting it.
I think it's great that he didn't start until now, actually -- maybe the hand of Divine intervention - because as I've been thinking about it, when boys start earlier, age 10 is about when they peter out and their interest wanes. I think we have the possibility of this carrying Alex into high school and hopefully further. We'll see. No pressure, son, hahaha. Mama just has goals for you. ;)
Last night he got a little frustrated while practicing. When he'd calmed down I whispered to him that I've known he was musical since he was a baby, and I meant it. He's always had good pitch, perfect rhythm - an ear for it. And his math talents come in handy, as well. So I know he'll get the parts he's having trouble on. Practice, practice, practice.
Good advice for my daily round, I guess, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment