Tuesday, April 25

Challenges (but not terrible ones)

I finally bought some drugstore readers for myself. I've been eyeing them (HAHA) for 6 months or more, but not willing to make the commitment. So far I don't love wearing them, except for looking studious. They do help a little, but they're also not perfect. They kind-of make my eyes hurt, after I take them off, and I definitely don't want to use them when reading on my Kindle. Interestingly. But this morning, writing in my morning journal, OH YES, they helped immensely. That is where my vision tends to feel really unfocused and fuzzy - when I'm writing by hand. Weird.

An update on the WLC -- I have NOT been keeping kosher! I mean, staying compliant. I have been eating cheese, and some bread, and definitely some sugar. I am NOT exercising or stretching every day, sadly. I don't know why not, since I discovered it's not difficult to do 10 minutes of each. I guess the January challenge didn't cure my laziness. Heh. Luckily so far, I'm not gaining the pounds back. But it makes me nervel-dervel. The plan was, during these 8 Off-Plan weeks, to stay on plan during the week, but relax on the weekends. What it's turning out to be, instead, is that I eat pretty well during the workday, then "relax" for dinner. We've had pasta and pizza and garlic toast, and I have indulged. I'll walk tonight - I always do, during gymnastics. I guess it's good I'm already signed up for the next challenge in May.

Not much update on work, except yesterday Shan had a 4-hour interview somewhere. She is definitely going to leave me; this was not her first interview set - she's been hitting the pavement pretty hard. I think she has a recruiter helping her. If she does leave, my only advocate will be in the U.K. -- I mean, a global-team advocate. I think the new U.S. Marketing Mgr. would fight to get me onto HIS team, to be a Marketing Assistant basically. (And still do all my other writing for the global team, I'm SURE.) I did get my resume updated, but haven't sent it anywhere yet and haven't uploaded it to LinkedIn. I still don't know that I want to stay in Marketing at all. Same tasks, different desk? Might not really help at all... though the absence of the constant drama/politics of THIS place would be welcome. Oh, I don't know. Grateful for the paycheck and the location. Grateful grateful grateful. I am able to be simply content. I don't have to be "professionally successful" to have a good life. But it does seem like, as long as I'm working, and as many hours as I put into it, I should at least get to enjoy it a LITTLE. Achieve something and be recognized. I do realize they don't call it "play," it's not supposed to be a party. Anyway, I'm very curious about what's next -- even, what's going to happen TODAY -- in my so-called career.

---

Now for the (non-challenging) good stuff. Shawn and the kids. This week is our 16th wedding anniversary! The babysitter's coming on Friday night and I guess I need to make dinner reservations. It is crazy when we think that in 9 more years, both kids will be grown. It's a kind-of freedom to look forward to, obviously, but... it's just weird.  ...The other night (Saturday, maybe?) we played frisbee for a long time in the perfect spring evening weather, laughing, tripping, throwing some really good ones (the kids have improved a lot over the years!), and some really bad ones, and fearing the snake when we had to go hunting for the worst throws. (YEP, we saw a 6-foot-long Georgia King snake in our yard recently! He wasn't bothering anyone, just doing his thing. It was still pretty creepy.)   ...We're gearing up for summer; this past weekend Kate and I had fun at WalMart, buying cheap t-shirts she can get dirty at Winshape. Shopping's pretty fun with her now -- when she isn't being whiny about wanting something frivolous, which is always. Last night, for instance, we popped over to Target after dinner to grab a pencil sharpener and milk and a birthday gift for her friend. Essentials. ;) She was sweet and fun, "riding" on the grocery cart as she pushed it through the empty store aisles. ...Next week, Alex will play in his first National Guild Audition. It is all I can do NOT to try to help/teach him as he gets ready. I need to let his teacher do that job, and stay out of it. But, OH, I want to help him. If only he would practice phrases at a time, the hard ones, (like the 10,000 "frog jumps" we did in violin) instead of the entire song every time. If only he would sit straighter. Move the bench back. Curve the fingers. BUT I'm trying my best to keep quiet. He's doing really well.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Love your view of life. Had to jump over for it though I've only got a few minutes ...

ya-ya ma said...

"nervel-dervel" - I LOVE that!!