Monday, May 1

Why Peter Pan Calls Capt. Hook a "Codfish"

Yesterday the seafood counter was out of tilapia. I know, I know, the Internet warns about how we should never be eating tilapia! But ...well, sometimes we do, anyway. Not last night. Instead I bought wild-caught cod for just $6.99/pound. (That was why.) You can't save fish, so if I buy it, usually we eat it on Sunday night.

For this, I baked it as I normally would, with butter/lemon/garlic. I didn't include any onions and wish I had, and I cooked it for less time on a higher temperature than I have in the past.... maybe these reasons are why it did not satisfy me in the slightest. The adjective I'd use, in fact, is "gross." The texture was weird, making me think, "Did I cook this long enough?" and the taste was totally fishy. Now I know why "codfish" is an insult. Blech. Next time I will get grouper or trout or something else. Salmon, I guess. (My kids love salmon! Finally! But I get tired of it and don't want to serve it every week.)

Speaking of every week, let's detail the menu, shall we?

Sunday -- Codfish. White rice. Broccoli. Thumbs down.

Monday -- Grandmother's Spicy Fried Chicken! Publix has not carried the box of frozen fried chicken in years. But guess what? Kroger had it. Made me hate Kroger a little less, yesterday. I am so excited for dinner tonight. Will also make fresh corn on the cob, because braces-less Alex can eat it now (carefully, with his permanent bottom retainer in place) and maybe green beans, too.

Tuesday -- Alex has a piano competition at 5:00, so I'm going to ask Shawn to heat up the pizza that I've got in the freezer. Woo-hoo!

Wednesday -- Broccoli-Cheese Soup. Kate saw it in my recipe book and was intrigued. However, Shawn's not a fan, and Alex won't be, either (cheese). So I'll also make a Tortilla soup (from a mix) that we like.

Thursday -- Out to eat! Mom and Dad arrive for the Art Show/Grandparents' Day and I can't wait! (To see them, not to eat out. But also, to eat out. Heh.)

Friday -- Not sure, but I might ask Mom to make brisket while I'm at work. ;) Hi, Mom! OR we might do something else easy.

2 comments:

ya-ya ma said...

I'll be happy to cook. Can't wait to be there!!

bessie.viola said...

Ugh, I also *hate* codfish. I think that "gross" is spot-on. LOL!