Monday, June 12

Summer Ease

Of many things I sometimes wish, one of them is that I was qualified and called to be a teacher, so I could have my summers off. But alas, I was not called to that life.

Nevertheless, there's a measure of ease this summer that I'm really happy about. It's Super-Ease this week, in fact, since the kids are at Winshape -- the first time both of them have been there at the same time, and thus, 12 full days of parenting freedom for Shawn and me! It's crazy. We know we're starting to miss them because we're talking about them a lot. But the break has been so good, as it is every year when they're at grandparents' houses. Guess what? We still like each other, and can find things to talk about with no trouble. Good news, right? ;) We were marveling over this freedom to just TALK with each other yesterday, and I said, "It's just that parenting is a REAL JOB." Of course we love it -- it's the best job we have -- but yes. It's full time. We're enjoying the vacation from it. We're doing nothing spectacular - watching TV, movies, eating out - but it is just what the doctor ordered.

Before they left, though, I was already getting used to the evenings of summer. There's no pressure to fix dinner by a certain time so we can get to lessons/choir/bed on time. There's no homework to nag about. There's no lunch waiting to be made. The mornings are slower. Yes, we still try to get out the door at the same time, but it's infinitely easier when we can leave the kids right there on the couch in their jammies, with the babysitter.

I like summer now, is what I'm saying. I'll like it even more in 2 weeks when I, myself, am on the beach. :) 

No comments: