Friday, November 17

At last, Pride and Prejudice

For all my big talk about books and love of literature, I've never read Pride and Prejudice! Never! Jane Eyre is my favorite of all time -- I think I've read it 3 times -- but never P&P.

So today I downloaded it to my Kindle. (Hooray for Amazon Classics costing $0.00!)

One reason I chose it is that I just read Anne Tyler's A Spool of Blue Thread, which I thought was a complete waste. Totally disappointing. So I wanted something "meaty." The other reason is that I also saw this book -- Longbourn, the "downstairs" account of the events in P&P -- and that intrigued me! But I won't allow myself to read it until I read the original.

I've had a fun year reading free e-books through my county library. Want the mini-reviews?

  1. Time Traveler's Wife - loved it. I had tried to read it several years ago and couldn't get interested, but once I did, I didn't want it to end.
  2. Scythe - YA dystopian fiction that Alex chose on a table at the bookstore. Was awesome.
  3. Shadow of Lakecrest - chose it because it was on sale for .99, and really liked it. Think about it still.
  4. Man Called Ove -- loved, obviously
  5. The Heart Goes Last - weird Margaret Atwood. Too weird.
  6. Good Harbour - awful, sappy, cheesy annoying "ladies who are friends at the beach" story
  7. Hagseed - awesome Margaret Atwood, loved it (from the Hogarth Shakespeare re-imaginings)
  8. Life Below Stairs - meh. non-fiction and dry
  9. The Goldfinch - I think it's controversial! some people hate it! But i loved it a LOT. Deep and sad and intriguing
  10. Code Name Verity - loved it. WWII fiction with female heroes, set it England/France? of course it was good!
  11. The Secret History - since I liked The Goldfinch so much I thought surely another Donna Tartt would be good. It was a good story, but not as heart-rending as the other one, I thought. Still, the setting in New England was lovely and the characters... weird and interesting.
  12. Station Eleven - kept hearing about it online. It was only OK, I thought. But nice how it had several plotlines that came together in the end. I love when books do that
  13. Remarkable Creatures - as much as I adore Tracy Chevalier, I was not planning to like this one. The preview descriptions just did nothing for me. But then I loved it! Read it at the beach, which was perfect.
  14. Room - excellent. Disturbing.
  15. The Arsonist - meh. just something to tide me over. I think I read the whole thing in 5 hours on the way home from the beach
  16. A Game of Thrones - as epic as its reputation on TV. loved it. can't decide, however, if I want to read the rest.
  17. Chains - Alex read for school, and recommended. Excellent. 
  18. Bridget Jones Mad About the Boy - so nostalgic to go back to Bridget Jonesey. Fun read.
  19. High Mtns of Portugal - one of the weirdest stories I've ever read. There were 3 distinct sections, and they came together in the end, but they were all totally bizarre (and sometimes boring)
  20. The Glass Castle - already reviewed. Excellent.
  21. Wild - loved it
  22. In the Unlikely Event - renewed my love of Judy Blume, and a fascinating (based on true) story
  23. State of Wonder - only okay. I wanted it to be better. Total bummer of an anticlimactic ending
  24. Spool of Blue Thread - disappointing and banal

Pride & Prejudice will be book #25 and might take me through Christmas. I'm pretty impressed with myself - it's the most I've read in a lonnnnng time.

Any recommendations for next year?

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Ooh, I'm going to come back to this when I have some time. Also did not love Spool of Blue Thread.