Kate's room is painted. I forgot to really take any "befores," and that's too bad, but here is the "after:"
She chose the colors, and she helped us paint. I don't mean just a few minutes' worth, either. She stuck with it. She worked hard. I was really proud of her and tried to ignore my actual feelings when she dripped paint on two places on her carpet. (Resolve to the rescue.) She realized after we put the furniture back in that her existing comforter is a perfect match, and so she let go of wanting a new one. Hooray! It really looks great and opens up her space nicely. Of course, she wants to close that back up by getting a desk for that empty corner behind her. But I'm okay with that. A kid needs a place to put all her stuff, you know? And maybe one day, to do her homework.
Next up is Kate's 10th birthday, next week! TEN! That's a lot of years! Other than the room makeover (which should be enough, imho), she's getting a gymnastics mat (I guess), a camera case for her Instax camera, some junk from Justice (because always), and... plane tickets to Seattle! A little much for a young girl...? PERHAPS. But I guess that ship sailed when we took her to Disneyworld on her 1st birthday, didn't it??? Yes, it did. Of course the tickets are for all of us, not JUST Kate, a trip I've been meaning to take them on for at least 3 years. However, Kate is the one who's been vocal about never being on an airplane, and she is the one who's going to flip out the most when it finally happens. So I'm happy to wrap up the ticket for her as a surprise.
-------
This month, at work, has been bonkers. Starting mid-January, I mean. New VP is already making big changes to the team, including my role. It's the 2nd time this company's changed my role without consulting me first -- well, I suppose they sort-of asked me, on Tuesday, but it was more of a "here's how it's going to be, you're okay with that RIGHT?" Eh. I don't have the time to care, I guess, or the motivation. It's still a job, close to school. The role doesn't change that much, and....
drumroll....
I'm getting an honest-to-God OFFICE.
This is big news!! It's right next-door to Shan's, and away from the constant chatter of the hallways and customer service people (I'll kinda miss the customer service people, actually), and it's got a freaking DOOR. And a huge window looking toward Kennesaw Mountain. I am beyond thrilled. (I only wonder how long they'll let me keep it. I wouldn't put it past anyone to hire some Manager-level person in the next 6 months and kick me right back to cube-land.) For now, BLISS. I move my stuff in tomorrow. :)
I've been joking, this last year, when people ask me, "You work full-time, too? I don't know HOW you do it!" -- side note, it's rare that people say this, but once in a while they do, and I like the validation of it -- anyway, my response is usually (self-deprecating), "Oh, work is where I go to REST." Because it's sort-of true, that work is a bit more restful than Not-Work. I do sit on my butt in front of a computer most days. But 2 things: 1) WHY do I do that to myself, acting in front of people like "it's no big deal, I don't work all that hard," when in actual fact it IS HARD to do all that I do in the time I have? and 2) when work is MENTALLY stressful, like it has been the last week for me, then I definitely don't get the "rest" I probably need. The last several weekends have been just Go-Go-Go all day Saturday AND Sunday, this coming weekend, too, and I'm super tired of that. Shawn and I never get to just chill out together, sit down and watch a movie, drink wine and talk about random things, and we need to FIX IT immediately. He said so, too. I'm putting it down here for official-ness.
But this is The Life, Grateful for all the #blessed I feel, etc... ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment