Monday, March 12

What Time Even Is It?*

Haha, I know what time it is (Monday, 8:35 am). But I do feel a little bit wrecked this morning - I got home from my business trip to Las Vegas at about 11:15 last night. While I was out there, three time zones away from home, we changed to Daylight Savings. So my body clock is probably a little out of whack. Not to mention the fact that I have woken up several times every night since Friday night. Every hour, almost. Even last night in my own bed.

What am I doing at work, then?! You're not the first to ask. I had to get up anyway, to help get the kids off to school, and to SEE them, and Shawn, say hello... so I figured I might as well just go to work. I'm pretty sure I won't be super productive, though.

The trip itself was okay: A conference for nurse navigators in breast centers, with tons of very medical, very data-specific and jargon-filled workshops. I held my own, taking notes, grateful I didn't have any clients to entertain or responsibilities other than listening, but I did have mild existential questions like, "WHAT is God's purpose, actually, in putting me in this particular place today?" Because seriously: I'm not a nurse, I'm not planning to ever BE a nurse... or a doctor or a statistician... it was interesting to think about. I did have one mini-encounter with a speaker whose topic was different from all the rest. He is a brain cancer survivor, and was there to talk about self-compassion and gratitude, and how those tools can help nurses do their jobs better. It was just the topic I've been "studying" via the Happier app since January, and I loved his talk. I took a moment afterwards to thank him and he was very kind and appreciative. Maybe that was my purpose in being there? Maybe he needed to hear Thank You...? It was one of the best moments of the trip. The other was a dinner I had with a coworker and her family (husband, stepdaughter). Really enjoyed them all, particularly the coworker. Finally, the very best moment was my hour-long conversation with Jilly, since I was in her time zone! We were planning our Seattle adventure (more later on that)!

Anyway, instead of feeling grumbly about the fact that I was there, mostly I felt curious about it, and that helped, I think. Oh, I was plenty grumbly on Friday before I left and on my way to the airport, don't worry. Traffic was a nightmare and I just don't like Not Knowing where to go, what to expect. I also hate getting from an airport to a hotel. Just hate that in any city. Don't like taxis. I'm not yet an Uber or Lyft user (but should be). So I'd booked a shuttle in Vegas, which was only $10 and I thought would be a good option. It was a terrible option. I mean, it worked, but it stressed me out. My coworkers asked, "WHY did you do that?" But... I don't like taxis. Especially not at night, especially not by myself. Anyway. That was the hardest thing.

I didn't even touch a slot machine or have a drink in any casino (stayed at Bally's, meeting was in Paris LV). Someday maybe Shawn and I should go to Vegas together, and try to enjoy it. Although neither one of us is very good at parting with our money. ;)

*I find this sentence structure so fascinating. The kids do it. Not sure where it (even) comes from but I loved this article.

1 comment:

ya-ya ma said...

Maybe another reason you were there was to feel gratitude for that guy's talk. Of course it was lovely of you to tell him of your appreciation. That's always a good thing. But maybe hearing what he had to say and feeling it in your heart was also important.