Tuesday, July 31

The day in between...

Yesterday was a big day. Orientation for Alex at his new high school. HIGH SCHOOL. How do we have a kid in high school? A fourteen-year-old? I mean, it was NOT that long ago when I was fourteen. I remember it very distinctly, remember my first few days of 9th grade, where my locker was, what the combination was (31-1-15 whyyyyyy), all my teachers, the sounds and smells of the buildings... not long ago! Hahaha. Er, 30 years is short! A blink!

Anyway, I took Alex to Orientation and the first test of our fortitude was that the parking situation was terrible. Allll those parents and students, all at once, and guess what? It's a construction year! So half the parking places aren't available. Traffic was lined up to get into the lot, and even when we did, ten minutes late already, there were no spots. I had to let Alex out (good luck, honey! you're on your own!) and go down the street to find a grassy field with some room for my car. It all worked out, I think, and we got some good information during the morning's events. There was a moment later in the day when I could tell Alex was upset. It was after he stood in line and got his yearbook photo taken. He'd been waiting for his 8th grade friend to finish, as well (one of the three people he knows at the school), and waiting a long time apparently. I could see the very beginnings of tears in his eyes, and he said he was just "tired of having no one to talk to." Sigh. It's going to be lonely for a day or three, my boy. Until you meet some people and see them for a few days, and then know them. 

I have hope that his other known friend, Will, is going to have the same lunch period. There's a pretty good chance, and if that were the case, it would once again be God's hand giving us an outright gift. (There have been a few instances of that recently - other moms offering to keep Kate on days I just didn't know what we would do, babysitter-wise, etc.) I would accept prayers and crossed fingers on the lunch topic, from anyone who reads this. xo

Today is the day in-between. I'm at the office and I do hope he's working on his World History assignment -- naturally, the one summer assignment he did NOT complete yet, is his first period class. It's due next Monday.

I've been thinking about how nervous we all were when he started Kindergarten, and how that experience led us to this one. We've "started a new school" once before, and it became home. We can do it this time, too. 

Tomorrow's Day One. He'll take the bus for the very first time, and he told me not to walk with him to wait for it. He said it kindly, don't worry, and I get it. It may rain. :( More prayers for clear skies, at least at 7:40 am and 3:55 pm. He has money on his student lunch account, so he can buy something fun (pizza! nachos! chicken tenders! all the options we did not have in parochial school, for the low, low price of $2.60!). He has an idea of where to go. Shawn and I can't help but coach him; we both keep saying "just do..." and "just remember," and I'm sure it's driving him crazy. But here we are. 

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Prayers. Here it's middle school with 300 6th graders in her class. Prayers.

Lee said...

Oh, wow, Sherry. Middle school?! Prayers for her and for you! It's going to be a great year. :)