Monday, January 14

Pre-WLC dinners this week, and party planning

It's a week of "Last Suppers" for me, before the Whole Life Challenge begins again next Saturday. Then it will be no bread, no cheese, no sugar for 6 weeks.

Tonight, Monday: Lemon Butter Chicken Strips, rice and broccoli. This is a super-easy, pantry items meal. I've made it once before and the kids even liked it. If I have time I'll throw together some cornbread muffins to accompany this.

Tuesday: Cheeseburgers and potato salad. In the dead of winter, but who cares. We don't have snow like a lot of the country, but it's been cold so a "dreaming of summer/backyard" kind of dinner sounds good.

Wednesday: Lag Liv's Mexican rice with Fritos Scoops. (See? I'm really getting into this celebration of the last junk food of January.) ;)

Thursday: Mini pizzas. I have Canadian bacon and pineapple, which I'm happy to report is Kate's favorite pizza topping. She has good taste.

Friday: Shredded BBQ pork in the crock pot, served on King's Hawaiian rolls with coleslaw and chips, and possibly fruit salad. My parents are due to arrive in town that day, again, because Shawn's 50th birthday party is the following night! My MIL will also be with us, driving up from Savannah. I hope there's enough food! I think there will be.

I have more shopping to do this week. Today, plates, napkins, utensils and other fun things you can find at Party City. I've ordered a deli tray and a cake (decided against cupcakes for fear they were too girly; silly I know, but that's the deal) and the guest list is just about confirmed with 19 attendees including us. Most are from his office, which seems appropriate.

Before on the left, After on the right
In other party prep, this past weekend we recovered our kitchen chairs! They were looking tattered and gross. Happy to report it wasn't a difficult project, once we borrowed a staple gun. If you're ever thinking you could try recovering chairs, you're right. It's easy. Thank you to Shawn for doing the hard work of pulling the thick fabric tightly. I was very impressed with his DIY aplomb and his willingness to go to Joann Fabrics with me. When it was finished, Kate asked, "I guess I can't wipe my hands on them anymore?" NO, darling almost-ELEVEN-year-old, you cannot. smh. (This is the child who's being resistant to attending The Social Class (manners, etiquette, social dance for middleschoolers in our area). Sigh. But she NEEEEEEEDS The Social Class!)

I'm trying to trust that Saturday will all come together as it's meant to, and that I'll be calm and efficient. That morning, Kate has a basketball game across town. Not ideal. I haven't decided if SHE will skip it, but I'm certain I will.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Kate is hilarious. I need to research this Social Class thing for options in this area!!!!

suzanne day by day said...

LOL. Kids are disgusting, amirite?

Woo! Party time! It is going to be so great!!!!

And then I can't wait to see your menu plans for your no carb no cheese no sugar journey.