Friday, February 1

Review of January, Preview of February

With my new planner I am finding that I want to do monthly reviews, and I've been working on it a little bit this last week of January. Here's what I've concluded about January:
  • I accomplished four of my goals: 1. Host a party at our house, 2. Make an appointment with a financial planner and move our accounts to a local branch, 3. Yoga with Adriene's 30-day Dedicate series, and 4. Invite a non-work friend to lunch. 
  • As a bonus, we recovered our kitchen chairs. I didn't even speak it as a goal, but it was one, and it got done!

    This is a LOT more "accomplishing" than I think I typically do! I don't know if having the planner had anything to do with it, but it makes me feel good at any rate.
  • I/we did not manage: 1. Buying a new mattress (it was supposed to be our Christmas gift to each other... now it might be our Valentine's gift? Or Anniversary (April)? LOL, we'll get it when we get it, I guess) 2. Getting the cats to a (new?) vet for a yearly checkup. Although, after reading online I'm not sure they actually need one unless they are sick or really too fat for their own good, and I don't think ours are... kinda unsure about it but I also don't recall taking our cat to the vet once a year when I was a kid, so.... maybe I'll let that one go.
  • I also did not do as much prayer/meditation time as I have in the recent past (pre-December), and I'll have to work on adding that back in. My quiet mornings at my desk have been supplanted by driving Alex to school on all these cold mornings, lately, instead of him walking to the bus stop (in his HOODIE). It's fine, and I like having time with him for sure, but when I get to my office (late-ish), I feel like I need to skip the excess me-time. So come on, Spring. (I think next week we're supposed to have 70s!)
I am also noticing that the "planning" mindset has me thinking about the future so much, it's hard to be mindful of the present moment, and I would like to do better about that. Interesting.  

In February, I'm looking forward to our Girl Scout Troop's weekend trip to Savannah (today!), having a half-day off for that and for Kate's birthday the 15th, and the Big Project at work being over on the 24th. I'm anxious about Alex having a week-long break from school when the rest of us don't. Not sure how to handle those, and I feel sad that he's probably going to be bored that week. :/

Meals have not been that great, I will say. The Whole Life Challenge is a challenge in that regard. My kids/family don't want to eat butternut squash soup, salads, veggie omelets, or plain chicken breasts, I can't imagine why. I planned next week's dinners super-quickly this morning, since I'm leaving town tonight and won't get to do the grocery shopping (darn). It's a mix-up of our usuals. Tacos, pork chops and field peas, one-sheet meal with sausage and chicken sausage. Easy, but completely unoriginal. Check back next week, maybe it'll be better.

3 comments:

suzanne day by day said...

I totally get what you mean about planning for the future taking away from the present moment. Everything seems so DIRE and it all takes so much energy and time. Plus, for me at least, it colors the present moment with doom and that's not good at all. How can I enjoy playing "Family" with my daughter if I'm choking back sobs worrying about whether I'll ever actually live to BE a grandmother? I mean, JEEZ.

Sherry said...

Hey! I'm reading your blog when I should be working! But I did this extra deep yoga stretch this morning and now I just want to sleep. I may HAVE to sleep!!! But I'll try to drink more caffeine and carry on! About Alex being off -- I always try to tell myself that I probably will have a more interesting, adjusted kid person because she wasn't constantly entertained/stimulated. I KNOW it's an excuse, but there has to be some truth to it.

Lee said...

Thank you for that good reminder, Sherry!