Monday, March 18

Always Grateful for a Slow-Start Monday

9:50 a.m. and I just got settled at my desk, after working from home this morning because Kate has a day off from school. She slept until 8:00. So lovely, a child getting extra zzzz's and waking up fuzzy headed and sleepy. Awww. Her friend's mom, of the stay-at-home persuasion, offered to a couple of us working-persuasions to take in our girls today -- how sweet. She's always available for weekday play dates and I'm so thankful for her. And for a slow start, myself, so she wouldn't have extra kids in her house before 9:00: Coffee and a cooked breakfast at home, email checking, clearing up dishes and other little chores. Ahhhh, so nice. I wish every day could start like that.

I narrowly missed getting stuck behind an accident this morning after dropping Kate off, so the bliss was short-lived. A lady in the left lane merged right without even looking, and hit a car in that lane. I was in the far-right (three lanes total) and juuuuust skated by. If I'd been 1 minute behind I'd have had to stop and wait. Eeek. I hate driving. 

Today on the docket are two main tasks: Write up a Talking Points document for our sales team, and edit 2 or 3 articles. Not too demanding, which is perfect for a Monday. My new-ish role -- I'm now solely focused on U.S. marketing, with yet another title, did I tell you? Marketing Communications Specialist, whatever that means (but it's better than Marketing Coordinator, which made me angry 6 months ago when it was given to me; honestly, a person working as long as I have has earned the right NOT to be called a "coordinator") -- anyway, my new-ish role means new responsibilities, many of them recurring tasks. I'm now charged with: 
  • Monitoring several of our accounts online (social media, mostly), and reporting on who's doing what (Spy duties! haha!)
  • Scanning U.S. healthcare news and adding it to a content calendar
  • Boosting social posts and/or creating campaigns
  • Maintaining B2B content, which hasn't been updated in at least 2 years
I don't know yet if it's better or worse than what I was doing, but it's slightly different enough that I feel a tiny energetic lift from it, especially here at the beginning, while I get used to the new routine. 

After work, it's at-home yoga and then dinner. I planned a menu this week! It feels monumental after the last several of phoning it in (or going out of town and making Shawn do it). 

Last night, Sunday: Dinner Salads. Alex doesn't eat salad; however, he is away on Sunday nights for church youth group, and he eats there. So last night Kate and I cut lettuce, tomato, cucumber, carrots, and added shredded cheddar to a big salad bowl. We offered leftover taco meat with salsa, or cubed ham with hard-boiled egg, your choice of dressing and tortilla chips or croutons. I thought it was perfect and wish I could serve dinner salads once a week, both for ease and for health.

Monday, today: Oven Chicken Fajitas and yellow rice. I'm so excited about this. I hope the kids will eat them. I won't add the cayenne pepper but we have a giant jar of pickled jalapenos with which to make ours spicier. >>UPDATE: Everyone liked this! Even Alex! He even dared to eat a piece of onion and a bell pepper strip! Woo!

T: The ever-popular smoked sausage, mac and cheese, and green beans simple dinner. 

W: Don't kill me, Shawn, but it's make your own pizza night. I have had the prepared crusts in the fridge for a while and it's time to use them. 

Th: Chicken Picante (yes, chicken two times - we had pork the last 2 weeks in a row), black beans and corn. I used to make this all the time and got really sick of it after a while. The timing was fine because the kids wouldn't eat salsa in those days, anyway; but now I think they might be open to trying it. I bought mild salsa of course, and we'll see how it goes. I predict they'll scrape it off, for the most part, but I also know Shawn loves this dish.  UPDATE: Kate gave it 2 thumbs enthusiastically up, and Alex gave it a "so-so" teetering hand but said he would eat again. LOL these two.

F: Leaving it open for whatever. Our church also does a Friday fish fry during Lent, and that might be something we attempt this week. Kate mentioned wanting to go. 

In the beginning of March, I thought it would be fun to actually MAKE a dessert one night a week, and I set it as a monthly goal in my planner. It hasn't yet happened, but maybe I will whip up a box of brownies at some point. I like the idea of it -- normally I don't make desserts, we just eat ice cream or cookies if we have them. But I feel like making and presenting a dessert would make me feel good, and would be more festive. Plus, I'm on a mission to get my family interested in pie. (WHO doesn't like pie?? My family.) Brownies aren't pie, but they're a start. 

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Thanks for the easy chicken recipes -- will have to try. On rare occasion I'll make something like a "chocolate pie" (chocolate pudding and whipped topping in a graham cracker crust), and Darryl and Madison are so grateful. It's nice.