Emotion number 1: Excited. This was Alex's idea -- he came to me, I didn't push. And I'm so glad for that. I was content this year (or maybe resigned is a better word), for him to be in concert band only, and not march. Even for next year, if that's what he had decided. He's learned so much during his year of concert band! It's so refined to play onstage like a symphony orchestra! It costs so much less money. It's great! (I'm jealous, even, because I've never played in an instrument ensemble, and although chorus is similar I'd love to experience the instrumental side of it.)
I completely understand why he didn't march this year as a brand-newbie to the school, and why he's been hesitant about it: So Much Commitment. Every Friday. Practice after school 3 times a week. Hot, polyester black (sun-absorbing) uniforms in the Georgia heat. No time for any "life" other than band.
BUT. His friends from concert band/lunch table encouraged him. The directors of the marching band encouraged him (!! #proudmama). And he can handle the commitment. He is a smart kid who's good at time management. We will help him. And more than anything, I want him to make close friends and memories. High school can be a social upswing, and marching band is a perfect avenue for it.
Emotion number 2: A little bit terrified! The parental commitment is as big, if not bigger, than the student commitment. First of all, there are fees and fundraising and more fees, and then the incidentals like stopping at McDonald's on the way to and from games or competitions, and new water bottles and new instruments someday.... and hoo, boy.
But more than that, the TIME required of parents is insane, and in very short supply already. They have more volunteer positions for the band than our elementary school has for every activity together. You can be an equipment manager, a bus chaperone, a t-shirt-selling cashier during games or practices, a meal-provider before home games, a launderer and seamstress for uniforms, a planner of banquets, a concession-stand person or a director of the huge color guard competition that our school hosts. OMG, there is a lot. I know it will include Shawn and me developing lifelong friendships with other parents, and I want that for sure... but I'm unsure how we will fit it all into the calendar! (The laundry option does seem like one of the easier volunteer positions, and I was kind-of interested in it, except when I thought about 150 kids' stinky, sweaty clothing and towels being in my car every week. No, thank you, not at all interested.)
It will be fun. I'm really excited, despite my misgivings, and as a result I've been reading the 60-page Handbook and studying the Band Boosters' website instead of focusing on work. ;) I envision we'll have to change our family dinnertime schedule this fall, because practice is until 7:15 three nights a week (8:00 dinner like the Europeans?) and then games on Fridays. It solves one of my summer dilemmas: What will Alex do with his time? Hahaha. Band camp is nearly 2 weeks in July. (How I will occupy Kate those 2 weeks is another question.)
Here we go, though! Let the madness begin!
3 comments:
Wow! Alex is truly finding his niche! I think one big part of your worries for him are in the past! While terrifying indeed, I think he is the coolest kid, and because I didn't sleep much last night, it just brings tears to my eyes to think of him being in with this group that has to be at least somewhat talented, focused, committed, involved, welcoming, etc. Hooray!!!!!
I was in Marching Band in high school (and jr. high), and it was a great experience!
I'm happy for Alex!
Have you read Mir Kamin's post (now ancient) about Marching Band?
My mom and dad were slacker band parents. Mom went to the first parent meeting and came home and told me that she supported me and would get me to and from, but that my extracurricular activity was not going to become her extracurricular activity. I know some of the parents who were more involved judged her for it.
Oh yes, I loved Mir's take on Marching Band and have been wanting to go back and re-read all the related posts. :)
I can totally relate to your mom opting out! It's going to be A LOT. But I'll freely admit I have no other social life, really, so I'm looking forward to it... when I'm not worried how we'll fit it in, with full-time jobs and all.
Post a Comment