- I enjoyed having a paper calendar/planner again
- I loved Golden Coil, but over-estimated how many pages I would need, esp. re: goal-setting.
- Goal-setting still makes me feel more shame/guilt than control/productivity
- I'm proud I was gentle with myself about the goals, but don't feel like I want to continue with them, at least not on paper so much
- Gratitude journaling remained constant, all year long
- I chose a Rifle Paper Company planner for 2020 and think it will serve the purpose just fine, for about half the cost
Best things about 2019:
- 10 years at my company (!!), which means more days OFF going forward
- Some workout success, both in January (30 days of yoga w/Adrienne) and July - Nov (150 minutes/week, 17 consecutive weeks)
- Marching Band Mom-hood! Discovered which volunteering I like and don't, made new friends, took a trip
- Quitting gymnastics (Kate) and choir (me)
- Experience gifts for the kids (a gaming "homestand" for Alex and Shawn Mendes concert for Kate)
- Gardening more thoughtfully
- Jilly's (my sis) happiness, engagement, and the family meeting her fiance last week in P'cola (New Year's Day and weekend)
In general I think I was more calm in 2019, refusing to let being busy stress me out so much. Relative to that, I didn't even want to consider the "worst things" of 2019. Didn't bother. No need to think negative thoughts.
So, here we are in 2020! Twenty-twenty! Can you believe it?? We have a lot going on already.
- Doctors, ahoy. Starting last month, I visited the eye doctor, my primary care doc, and this morning, the dentist. Kate went to a dermatologist and has a follow-up in 2 weeks. The kids both have dentist appointments as well, in January, and I get to have 2 cavities filled. Ugh. But thankful for insurance.
- We bought a Sleep Number bed and it will be delivered in 3 days. Shawn and I and our aching backs are very excited about this development.
- The painting crew is coming later this month to fix the hole in the kitchen ceiling and also paint the entry/walls of the stairs/upstairs hallway. Eeeee! Been wanting to paint those scuffed up walls since we moved in almost 5 years ago! Choosing a grey soon. Any suggestions are welcome.
- We also hope this will spur us to paint other rooms in the house, not to mention redecorating the guest room, but I'm not expecting it to happen right away.
- Kate's middle school semi formal dance this Friday, for which we are still looking for a dress and shoes, eek. Going at lunch today with fingers crossed.
- Kate's first drama club performance on the 24th-25th! So far she isn't in love with the preparation process, which includes rehearsal nearly every day for the next 3 weeks, but I hope the performance weekend will be fun for her.
Posting our weekly menu is still so fun, somehow. It taught me last year that I am prone to taking the easy way out (hot dogs and fries, tra-la!) but also that the kids' palettes are slowly growing and more able to try new things. I have another Hello Fresh box arriving tomorrow, with Parm Crusted Chicken and Lemon-Tomato Spaghetti one night, and Cajun Blackened Tilapia with Red Beans and Lemon Rice the other. Yummy! Just noticed the 2 lemon sides, oops. However, those are probably not getting made until the weekend because my darling husband made the menu and did the grocery shopping this week while I was out of town, thank you, Shawn! and it's all of his family faves:
Finally, I will tell you my plan for detoxing from the holidays, or should I call it All-Cookies All-The-Time. It is thus:- Sunday: Spaghetti with meat sauce and garlic toast
- Monday: Cheesy baked chicken breasts, steamed broccoli, salad
- Tuesday: Chili
- Wednesday: Hot Dogs and Fries!
- Thursday: Pork chops (breaded) (okay, Shake n Bake), rice and field peas
- WATER, lots
- 150 minutes/week (also good for carpal tunnel management)
- no second helpings
- no candy
- no sugar
- no dairy
- no extra bread (meaning, if pasta is on the menu I can eat some pasta, but no roll. And choosing salads for lunches instead of sandwiches, etc.)
Those last 4 are just for a week or two, hopefully to remove the feeling of bloatedness that has become permanent lately. Ugh. I was thwarted this morning: my coffee from home tasted terrible, so I went to the Dunkin drive-thru and ordered plain black coffee with vanilla flavoring (I know there's sugar in it). They handed me a full-cream, real sugar hazelnut latte. Oh well, I'm taking it as a loving gesture from God. :)
5 comments:
Hey, person who makes me feel the world is good! I have this amazing thing that's never happened -- mostly because I've tended not to have resolutions. But some friends here asked me to make a resolution last year, and I resolved to do something about my physical pain -- aching knee and back. And lo and behold, here I am with almost no pain a year later! Miracles do occur! (Or surgery and yoga does occur.)
So, now, I have made a resolution to continue with that -- physical healing -- and to reach for joy, acceptance, and peace. I am determined to find something to smile about wherever I look. I think I can do this!
Namaste!
This is great news, Sherry! I approve!
Also, and this is a whisper, still... but there is some talk happening between me and Kate which includes mention of a possible Spring Break trip near you....! I will pursue, and be in touch!! :)
Wow - sounds like a great year last year and a great year ahead!
Your HelloFresh menu items sound so yummy!!! I am jealous except that I made our last box and had to use 1. A pot for the couscous 2. A large frying pan for the chicken 3. A baking sheet for the zucchini plus multiple bowls to mix things in. And SO MUCH chopping! I am a huge lazy pants, I guess.
Also! I have Strong Feelings about grey paint! Well, strong in that I LOVE our grey walls and so am sharing the colors with you in case you love them too.
In the master bedroom and my office, we painted Behr Premium Plus Manhattan Mist, which is this lovely light grey that makes me SO HAPPY even eight years later. And in the dining room, we painted that same color above the chair rail and then painted Gray Timber Wolf (also Behr Premium Plus) on the bottom. It is this rich, dark grey and I LOVE it. Anyway, those are my recommendations.
Happy New Year!
Ooh, thank you for the grey recommendations! We have a couple of swatches that we picked up at Lowe's or somewhere MORE than a year ago... but the painters come next week! We're doing both a very light-filled entryway, which I think could handle the darker shades of grey, and look amazing, and a hallway which cannot handle them. So maybe we'll use both of your suggestions! Stay tuned!
Lee, Spring Break sounds GREAT! Keep me posted! And sorry about grammatical error -- at least you know I'm replying SPONTANEOUSLY! :)
Post a Comment