Tuesday, May 12

What I'm Doing Today: Day 57

It's Tuesday of the 2nd week of my 2nd furlough.

7:00 I've kept my alarm set and it goes off around 6:40, but I always snooze it or turn it off... I always intend to get out of bed and go downstairs with Shawn (who's still working at his office), but rarely do I, actually. Particularly with the latest cool front, it's been so warm under the covers and so cold outside them! (We really are having amazing spring weather here, I am not complaining. I've known many a May with temps consistently in the high 80s, ugh. This is bliss.) Today I got up, put on socks and pants, then got back into bed for another 5 minutes. So. Warm.

7:30 I've made coffee, Shawn's fed the cats and gone. I spend a quick minute in my planner, then step outside to see how cool it really is -- not unbearable. My weather app says 53 degrees. Since I have socks and long sleeves on, it's definitely warm enough to get my coffee and my book and phone and glasses, and sit outside on the porch for a while. I would sit out there all day with a book if I didn't feel guilty about it. At first, I can't concentrate; I've acquired two scaveola hanging plants that just won't perk up. (I think they were overwatered on their first day here, when it rained a good bit. So yesterday I refused to water them... but they're not better yet. I water them, but just a little, and say a prayer. Then curse a little at the plants. Perk up, ya jerks.) I sit back down and listen to the birds and read, until I hear Alex stirring inside.  I had scheduled myself until 9:00 to drink coffee, read the newspaper, do my journaling, and read. (And fret about the plants.) If I don't make a schedule I really will sit around and read too much.

9:00 Unload the dishwasher/do breakfast dishes. Used our last detergent pod last night so I'm thinking of a Target run this week now -- I'm also out of foundation (hardly need it, but you know) and almost of laundry detergent. Also, Kate will "need" to get out of the house here, soon. She hasn't complained in a few days about that, but I know her limits.

10:00 Head upstairs to do a video workout (weights) and then a short yoga one. I looooooove having time to do as much working out as I want to do. Yesterday it was a 30-minute walk with a podcast (I've been enjoying Mike Rowe's "The Way I Heard It."), today this. Tomorrow maybe I'll walk again. I take a long-ish shower after that.

Then I go out and nail some little holes in the bottoms of the scaveola pots. Maybe they aren't draining well enough. I'm tempted to water them some more (FORCE them to perk up!) but I resist.

11:30 I didn't eat breakfast so now I cut and eat a grapefruit, and read a chapter while I'm eating it. The kids are both working on today's assignments. Only 2 weeks left of schoolwork. I was asked to think about one work assignment over this break, but I don't have any good ideas so I decide to let it go. It's only Tuesday. I am Scarlett O'Hara -- I can't think about that today, I'll think about that tomorrow. ;) It's so nice not to be chained to work right now. (I could write volumes about this.)

12:00 Kids come down and we perform our daily lunch ritual. We all make something to eat and sit down to watch a Survivor episode. I love this part of our day. Today, we give in and watch the first half of a second episode, too -- we're at the end of a season and it's super dramatic.

1:35 I haven't made anything in the crock pot in forever, so I put frozen chicken breasts, salsa, black beans and corn in there and voila, dinner will be ready at 7:00. Taco Tuesday. Maybe I'll make a margarita to go with it.

2:00 Write a blog post (am doing this!). I scheduled it in, this morning. Haven't written in a while because there hasn't been much to write, really. After this I'm going to finish my oil spreadsheet, and shred some old documents. Then maybe I'll check that project off my list. It feels good to finally have it done, although there's much more I suppose I could learn about that stuff.

If I really wanted to use my time wisely this 2 weeks, I would try to paint a room. Problem is, I don't actually want to do the work, heh. Maybe I've said this already, but the less I do, the less I want to do. This... isn't great.

Instead, on my list for 3:00 is to clean the kitchen, including the fridge. Like, take things out and Windex the shelves and everything. It's not especially dirty, but a task that makes me feel like I accomplished something. Will probably also fold Alex's laundry for him, though I appreciate that he started AND switched it himself.

Tomorrow I need to call the orthodontist. They're opening back up, apparently, and Alex missed an appointment during Stay-At-Home. Kate is also supposed to have her annual doctor visit on Wednesday, but I think I'm going to reschedule that because it conflicts with Alex's clarinet lesson, which is Wednesday as well. (It's the one day of the week we have stuff going on.)

I'm greatly enjoying these days at home. I don't want to go back to my office, or even WFH. I will, of course, and will be grateful to have a job and a paycheck. But you know. A life of leisure is really not so bad. I'm afraid I've gotten used to it.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Here, here! I am enjoying the time, too! More and more!