Thursday, June 11

Garden (and other) Updates: Day 87

In late April, I planted a Better Boy tomato, cilantro, basil, chives, and flowers. Begonias, mostly, but some impatiens and Verbena as well, a geranium, and my 2 hanging scaveola plants. They all did so well through the spring! And it's thanks to COVID in large part, because for once in my life, I was at home and able to tend to them. But as summer hits, things are starting to deteriorate in the Gardening department:
  • The tomato, mostly, just failed. We'd been so hopeful, with three green tomatoes actually growing and many other blossoms looking like the start of a bumper crop. But then yellow leaves appeared at the bottom, which I learned was likely a sign of too much water. I'd remove the yellow leaves (so they wouldn't be a "sugar drain," on the fruit), but the next day there'd be more. In the last week or so, the remaining blossoms have all withered and the 3 green tomatoes have not grown at all. And it's rained heavily the last 2 days. :( I've helped that plant to Jesus, I guess.
    • UPDATE: 3 hours after posting, I went out to check the plants and there are 3 new babies on the tomato! It's looking okay! It might actually survive! hope hope pant pant hope hope
  • The cilantro, which I was using so happily to make salsa every week, started to flower, and stopped making big pretty leaves. I could buy another plant at Publix to replace this one, I guess.
  • The scaveola are doing okay. I try really hard to put them under a porch when it rains (they don't like overwatering, either) and to keep pruning them back. They're so pretty, and I want them to live.
  • Begonias looks great. Some are getting leggy, but still lots of flowers.
  • Impatiens look great. I'm really pleased because earlier in my adult life, I tried to grow impatiens and they didn't work out (I think they got too much sun). They're happy little flowers.
Ah, well. Shawn maintains that when we go away for a week, the plants always die anyway, and that trip is coming up. 

What we're doing on day 87:
I'm working, and working a LOT. At the beginning of this WFH deal, I had to tell myself it was okay if I only got 6 hours of work done in a day, or only completed one project. Emotions were high and productivity was low; kids needed my help sometimes with school, and we were all getting used to this. 

Now, the kids are out of school and work has really ramped back up. It's going okay -- one thing that helps is the tween & teen sleeping really late in the mornings -- but I'm tired by the end of my workdays. We still have lunch and a show together. I'm still exercising a lot more than Before, though I'm walking outside less because it's gotten hot. (My goal is always 150 minutes a week.) 

We're going out a little bit. To outdoor malls, with masks, and not every day, but we have to do SOMETHING. Stores are open. We needed books for beach week, for example, so we went to Barnes and Noble, which has been re-configured for social distancing (fewer shelves, more spread out, no chairs to read in-store).

Next week, Kate's doing a day-camp on a farm an hour away. If I were working in an office it would be impossible (day camps with their 8 to 3 schedules, I've always abhorred! Think of the working parents!!), but since days are WFH and flexible, I'm making it happen. The camp director promises social distancing, and all outdoor activities (hope it doesn't rain). The kids have to bring masks. I hope she has fun. 

What we're eating:
The same stuff, and some new stuff. This week's been a hodge-podge:
Sunday: HF pork carnitas tacos, one of our faves
Monday: Spaghetti with sausage meat sauce
Tuesday: This super-easy lemon-pepper chicken with green beans and Stove Top (pantry items FTW)
Wednesday: HF black bean enchiladas, which were delish
Tonight: a big salad with chicken leftover from Tuesday
Tomorrow: Baked potatoes, roasted broccoli
Saturday: is usually still take-out night. We haven't eaten in a restaurant yet as a family, but they're opening here in GA. I'm not ready.

I've cut back on coffee. A few weeks ago I had really bad reflux and an upset tummy for 2 or 3 days, and I started thinking about ulcers. Not that I had an ulcer, but when the mind gets going, sometimes.... you know. So I'm down to one cup a day, really, or a cup of regular and then only decaf if I want more.

How we're feeling:
Okay, really, besides the state of the world being a dumpster fire. (I don't want to talk about it.) I turned 46 and had a Zoom party and a delicious box cake. ;) We're glad that our time share is open and that the FL beaches are open. That will feel normal (although we're taking our masks, of course, and won't be doing some of the things we usually do, like the water park). 

Marching band had a boosters meeting via Zoom the other night, and that was hopeful. They're planning ahead as if the school year will begin in August, until they hear differently, and it was fun to see friendly faces and think about band camp next month. I did have a moment of worry that if we allow Alex to participate in it and they aren't as careful as they should be, and he gets sick.... but I have had to shake that thought from my brain and tell myself I can't live in fear.

I'm reading Angela's Ashes. I never read it long ago when it was The Thing, and I really like it, Talk about perspective and gratitude. Next up (for the beach), I've got Olive Kitteridge and Between the World and Me. Looking forward to both of those.

3 comments:

Sherry said...

Hey there! Good to hear from you! I'm very into my flowers right now! After blooming like crazy for months and months, my gardenias are looking sad. I think they are too thick with leaves, perhaps. I think I need to thin them out. We were getting geared up to open the theater on July 2, thinking the SC governor would allow theaters to open by then, but now cases are ramping up and I don't know what will happen! Such a weird limbo. But we're doing really well in a lot of ways. Have fun in Florida! Madison and I visited my mom and dad a couple weeks ago and had a nice time. I'm reading The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls. Very good so far. Just finished Where'd You Go, Bernadette -- really liked it. Though it obviously didn't make a huge impression on me because I had to look at my Kindle to see what I'd read although I just finished a few days ago.

ya-ya ma said...

We have never had success growing tomatoes in Pensacola, and we've tried more than once. Bummer.
I have the same thought as Shaawn about how much the week away will harm the pretty flowers we have been nurturing so faithfully. Bummer, again.

Shannon said...

Hope you guys are still doing okay.

Will be interested in hearing what your schools do for the start of 2020-2021, especially since GA starts way earlier than PA. I guess I'm hoping for a couple of days a week in person with masks required, and more synchronous instruction when they are remote than they got in the spring.

We are headed to the panhandle of Florida in a few weeks. My mom has a vacation/ retirement property in Niceville. Hoping to enjoy the beach in Destin, go to the Okaloosa Island Fishing Pier, and the pool in her complex, while distancing enough to come home and resume life. PA is asking that people quarantine for 2 weeks after visiting FL, but I think our location and actions likely won't warrant it. I don't know if Sophie will be able to help us with the 15 hour drive or not, but it would be a good opportunity if she is up to highways by then.

If you let your cilantro bloom and then cut it back, perhaps you will get a second crop in a couple of months. That happened to me once. It was a nice surprise.

Stay Safe.