Friday, July 31

Favorite Pandemic Lunches, and Boredom

Being at home all the time means I am always eating lunch from my own fridge. Never popping out to get Which Wich, or going on my weekly outing with Shan (sushi, or Mexican), or ordering Jimmy John's, or even just running through the Taco Bell drive-thru once in a while. Huh, I do miss a few things about working in an office, I guess. 

Today is order out for lunch-day. We have been good all week. Usually it's Chick Fil A because my goodness, their app is easy to use. But mostly, we try to stick to the plethora of things that our own kitchen can offer (grateful, grateful, grateful). Here are our favorites:
  • Alex: 2 Corn Dogs and chips (Spicy-Sweet Doritos is his preference). He has also rediscovered canned chili mac (Chef Boyardee), which I bought a lot of when I first went panic-shopping to try to "stock up."
  • Kate: Roast beef sandwich on lightly toasted bread, with Ranch dressing, lettuce and cucumber. She likes BBQ Kettle chips the best, and always has an apple or some berries with it.
  • Me: Morningstar Farms Spicy Black Bean burger cooked in a skillet (7 minutes for a nice, crispy outside) served over lettuce/tomato salad, with guacamole if I have it, or sour cream, and lots of Cholula. Or a good cheese/crackers/veggies snack-plate will do me just fine.
The kids also like Totino's pizza rolls and Bagel Bites. I am so glad my freezer can (barely) hold all of the stuff we need to make sure there are options! I know I should make things like soups or pastas, so they're eating more healthily, but I tell you, the ease of them just grabbing something and microwaving it is saving my sanity most days.

-----

This is been an extra-long work-week, it seems. A lot of meetings, a lot of drama (we cancelled some trainings because Covid won't go away, and of course we were awaiting the coworkers' test results, all negative I'm told), and then big, annoying projects. I'm pretty tired of working, and the kids are pretty bored with being home, doing nothing. 

I know I've said that I'm infinitely grateful the kids aren't young; but I think if they were, I would have been compelled to try a little harder, you know? Take them to the park once in a while, at least. I feel guilty that we haven't done any "excursions" with all of this extra time together. ("You're working full-time!" argues my head. "I know, but, what about Making Memories?" whimpers my heart.) It has been hot lately, so no one would want to go do anything, anyway; and of course a lot of fun things aren't open. I guess no use crying over spilled milk; today they'll go swim next door, just the two of them. Our neighbors went out of town and we're watching their dog, so yay, a pool all to ourselves. Maybe we'll make the most of that this weekend. Maybe these next 2 weeks before school starts, I can try harder.

I don't know, just the state of life is a motivational bust, isn't it? I try to put on a happy face, but ... yeah. Sometimes it's just not there.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Oh man, this really rang true to me. Lunches around here, by the way, are incredibly boring. I try to eat leftovers -- I'll do some combinations that Madison thinks are extremely weird -- rice with homemade pimento cheese, anyone? But Madison could happily eat the same sandwich every day for months. I think her anxiety is soothed by the monotony.

The motivational bust is so true. Our 30th anniversary is in 10 days -- why am I not planning something?! We have time, for once, and we've got some immunity right now. BUT, we should save our money, I think. AND, so many places are shut down. But still, I could plan SOMETHING!