Wednesday, June 16

Interesting Title Here

It's the week before vacation week, a.k.a. the Longest Week Of the Year, and I'm feeling it! Lots to do at work, and more interestingly, lots to do for my second "job" for the marching band. Unfortunately, a couple of those tasks are phone calls and require me to ASK PEOPLE for things, which isn't ever fun. I could never be in sales, ever. 

First is to set up a party, which naturally falls to the Events coordinators. I'm less worried about that call, except that the first time I tried it this morning, I was holding-slash-being transferred, and I heard someone pick up the line and then hang up before saying hello! Ugh. I gave them 10 minutes and then called back, only to go to Voicemail. So that creates an additional task: Follow up. 

The second call is infinitely more daunting -- it's asking for a Large-Dollar-Amount Sponsorship from a restaurant, so that we can then order food for the band from them. That will require all of my Girl Scout Cookie Sales skills, for sure. On the plus side, all they can say is, "No thanks, we're not interested." But on the minus side, then I have to call someone ELSE. 

Well. I'm trying to have a good attitude about the whole thing in order to keep from letting it stress me out. "This is just for fun!" and "I totally wanted this job!" and "I'm just a PARENT, if I do a mediocre job no one can fault me!" and also a bit of, "Come on, ANYONE can do this and I am a SMART PERSON, so it is no big deal." These are the cheerleader-y things I tell myself. It's all oooohhhhh-kaaaaayyyyyyy. Breathe.

 - - - - - - - -

Next week while we're at the beach, I think I am going to take a 100% social media break. I'm sure I've done it before, and definitely want to again. I find, so often, that I am seeing the same posts again and again. There's nothing NEW. Even if it IS new, it's not that interesting, and certainly not critical to my life. And of course it makes me feel deflated and unfocused and bleh, if I allow myself to think about how I feel as I scroll along. Gross.

Social media is so complicated, isn't it? I'm not one to post every day -- far from it. I figure that's the best way to get yourself unfollowed, so I try to keep it pretty sparse. I post pics of the holidays, the special events, the kids' milestones. On one hand, I do want to share and celebrate our life with our friends ("friends") -- but on the other hand, I don't want to exploit my kids, one, or be too braggy, either. (I HATE braggy on social media.) Or think that other people CARE if, say, Kate and I wore matching shirts or something. I mean, it's silly, right? I definitely will not show you my painted toenails facing the ocean. 

And now that my kids are both also ON Instagram, I can't tag them without their permission, and don't want to embarrass them (further). I can't figure out the balance there. I could share photos of inanimate objects (books, my coffee cup, my garden), maybe the occasional selfie, but I don't have a "persona" or a "theme"... I do like the idea of capturing small moments and remembering them, but when I'm 90 will I want to see coffee cups? I just don't know. 

Anyway, I need a break from it. So instead of picking up my phone for Faceblech or Twitter or IG, I'll pick it up to TAKE PHOTOS of my family. I will pick up books instead. I will pick up playing cards or the newspaper. Or I will take a nap! Go for a walk. Visit a cousin in the condo across the parking lot. 

This is the plan! 

No comments: