Monday, August 16

State of the Garden and other Updates

Despite the extreme heat of the last 3 weeks, my garden still looks okay. This isn't typical for me! This year I have tried not to water every day, but to definitely water every other day. We've had a lot of rain, too. Most every weekend, I've added fertilizer to the water. Here's the state of things:

Tomatoes: We've harvested several, and they taste delicious. They've not all looked lovely, however; some have had cracked sides which I read is from.... too much water! They're too heavy and they just crack. A couple were attacked by squirrels or birds so they were pock-marked. Unless they were really gross, I've cut them up anyway and added them to salsa or salad (cutting around the eaten parts, obviously). I figure, not every tomato in a field is going to look nice, so why should mine? There are three more on the (single) vine at the moment, and last week I saw a blossom but I'm not sure if it will be fruitful.

Petunias: I cut them back by a lot 2 weeks ago and that helped. One pot in the front yard got destroyed when we had the pressure washers here in June. Another pot in the front just burned up and I replaced them with some white Vinca. I'm sick of deadheading them all but it definitely helps them bloom.

Lantanas: These two hanging baskets are the saddest things when they're thirsty! But even when they look nearly dead, a good soak usually brings them back. They've flowered twice and it looks like they might one more time (?). They're supposedly a butterfly attractor, and I'm disappointed to not really be seeing tons of butterflies - but at least they're still alive.

Impatiens: So pretty. So easy to grow in the shade. One in the far backyard looked peaked on Saturday morning but I tended to it and today (Monday) it seems a little happier. I've had to spray to keep critters from munching on that one.

Begonias: Flowery and big! No trouble from these guys at all, they just grow and bloom no matter what I do.

Coleus: These are on the front porch in the shade and I'm not sure if that's the best spot for them, but so far they're okay. I love coleus; the ones I bought this year are green and red.

Jalepeno! Kate convinced me we needed a pepper plant and she was RIGHT! We've used several in our weekly salsa. 

Japanese Maple and Bridal Wreath (3) bushes: These, we planted in the front yard where we took out all of our Bradford pear trees. They seem to be doing okay despite being mostly ignored by me (bushes = not as fun to tend as flowers). 

All in all, it's probably the best garden year I've had, spring to summer. Not sure what I'll do this fall. I would definitely like to plant some kind of bulbs, but I can't decide what type/color or where. 

In Band Mom updates:

I got the pizza place sponsorship, AND one from a chicken restaurant as well, woo hoo! I've learned that people respond better to phone calls and that persistence pays off. And that I don't ever want to be in sales. This week is the first football game and we are taking orders now to feed the kids on Friday afternoon before they board the bus. It's a lot of work and I'm trying not to be stressed about it. The hardest thing is that my co-chair took a full-time job at a school and therefore can't really do any of the behind-the-scenes work during the day, so it's now all falling on me. Argh. Kinda annoying but I am TRUSTING that it will all be fine. We get along well and it's kinda fun having a friend texting me constantly, I must say. I think the worst is really behind us, lining up all those weekly meal sponsors. 

In Extra-Curricular news:

Kate has joined her school's volleyball team! It's been exciting because she has impressed her coaches. They ask me, "Where has she been playing? How much experience does she have?" because they say she's doing so well. But this is her very first time! I think she loves it, and it's a pretty low-key team. Maybe it will lead to more volleyball for her. I feel good about that; especially since the Drama club is still on hold until at least January. 

The only bad part is that the practice schedule makes our weeknights a bit crazy. This is the first year where we just may not eat dinner together many nights. I'm planning casseroles, freezer things, and crock-pot meals as a result. I'm not mad about it. ;)

Sunday: Chicken Tetrazini, made with zucchini instead of mushrooms

Monday: Frozen black bean burgers or chicken patty sandwiches, and fries

Tuesday: Bulgogi meatballs with broccoli and rice, if I can remember to stop at Publix and buy the sauce which wasn't available at WalMart this weekend

Wednesday:  Crock-pot chicken soft tacos (chicken, black beans, salsa, corn in the crock pot, sooo easy)

Thursday: Maybe pasta, maybe Leftovers on Parade (I imagine we'll have plenty)!

Friday: Football game!

Saturday: Band tailgate and parent performance!

It's a very full time of the year/of our lives, that's for sure. 

1 comment:

ya-ya ma said...

You're having lots of success in your garden, yay! I wish I could get to the place where gardening is therapeutic.