Thursday, October 28

Band-tober Continues

So much marching band! Since Oct. 14, they competed in their highest priority BOA competition in Alabama (came in 5th overall and 2nd in their class, which is not their best showing), played/performed at 2 home football games (those are the busiest, with Events feeding the kids both before and after), and had Senior Night, where Shawn and I got to walk out on the field with our Senior for recognition.


I had a painful blister on my heel in that moment because of setting up the Senior Night reception beforehand -- I stupidly wore "nice" shoes for all the pre-game stuff, because I couldn't figure out how/when I would have time to change clothes before the game. Also I hardly ever wear nice shoes anymore, thanks to Covid! [[Side note: The reception came together beautifully despite the early troubles. We had tons of help, we set it up in an odd location (gym lobby) but it looked really nice in the end with our balloon bouquets, the Pinterest-worthy die-cuts Allegra bought, and my idea of Mason jars with twinkle lights inside. We hadjust enough tablecloths. I got some beautiful frosted sugar cookies made, we gave each senior a small gift, and the food was perfect and perfectly estimated -- not much leftover! Best of all, since I am a senior parent, everyone was making a big deal about me NOT helping too much, so once the party started at 6:00, I was allowed to do no more! I enjoyed it!]] No blisters could dampen the joy of being there, celebrating this sweet, talented class of kids. I love that I know a few of them now, can recognize them when they come to sign in for their meals (never thought I would learn their names, like Luke and Davis and Michael and Carter and Ashley and Maggie and Sarah and Lily, and Rocky and Mason and Kate and Zeke). Not that they care who I am, but it's still fun for me. ;)

I am so grateful for the ones whose parents I consider real friends. Like, GOOD friends. Cindy and Dalia and Heather and Teigha and especially Allegra. I had hoped for this additional benefit of Alex being in band, but wasn't sure it was going to happen, especially with last year and Covid taking away all that time we could have been volunteering. We are trying like heck to get Kate interested in band for next year (she doesn't play a marching instrument but could surely play keyboard in the front ensemble, or join the Color Guard - no experience necessary!), just so I can continue hanging out with my friends who have kids younger than Alex. ;) It's a tough sell and won't work, I'm afraid. Kate wants to forge her own path and we understand that. But I'm going to really feel the loss of these daily interactions with these particular friends. I may have to volunteer with them for a few things on the side, next year, and will definitely have to do my best to get them together for lunch or dinner once in a while. I guess we will still go to football games; Kate will want to, and won't want us around her. We'll be free to go sit in our normal section with the band parents. I also think about the future: Who will Shawn and I hang out with once our kids are all grown and gone? At least one set of the band parents I know is a set I'd like to include in the answer to that question (Allegra and Lawrence). 

All this to say, the high school years are VERY short. I know we still have half the year left, but everything from now on feels like it's "the last" thing. The last football game. The last competition. The last Night of Jazz. Sunrise, sunset.

In the meantime! I pulled Kate from her piano lessons. It was a very, very fraught decision for both of us. But last night after having a few weeks off from it, she reassured me, "It actually wasn't that much fun anymore," so maybe I can stop feeling guilty. She had a say in it, don't get me wrong, but she didn't want to be the one to disappoint me or her teacher, so I had to make the call. Maybe it isn't forever -- maybe she will want to go back to it. But the scheduling, combined with her homework load, combined with She Never Practiced, and I mean Never, and therefore she often came away from lessons upset because her teacher was a little hard on her... it just didn't make sense emotionally or financially to continue. 

Her volleyball practices start soon, and she will be glad to get back into that. And basketball for St. Joe's has already started. Sports! Here we come!

This week and last, I have managed some meals. We eat at 7:30 or 8:00 pm, but at least we eat. You know what's getting harder? Keeping all the ding-dang PHONES turned off and away during a meal. Sometimes we'll get to talking, and need to look something up, either about our calendar or something more fun, like a movie quote or the definition of a word, and then, whoops, whoever looked it up has a moment and Snapchat or Twitter is open. I'll continue working on that. The meals are reeeeeal basic, but they still count:

  • Easy Chicken Pot Pie with Bisquick topping (a handwritten recipe from a former coworker that calls for cream cheese in the filling, yes, please)
  • Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork (not as delicious as I'd hoped it would be, but serviceable- it made a great taco yesterday for my lunch)
  • Hello Fresh Carnitas Tacos - a request from Kate and SO yummy
  • Crock Pot Loaded Potato Soup (Alex rightly says, "If I didn't know what this is, I wouldn't think it looked very good." It does indeed look like slop, but add bacon, green onions and cheese, and it's *chef's kiss*)
  • Oven Baked (from Frozen) Chicken Tenders/Fritters, with a pasta side dish including some  zucchini I need to use
  • Bulgogi Meatballs with rice & broccoli (if they ever stop carrying our Bulgogi sauce at Publix, we will be SOL and very sad)
Guess what? We have a trip coming up, right around the corner. We're going (with band of course) to Orlando for a weekend in early November. They'll march in a parade at Universal Studios and then get to play in the park for a couple of days, and we'll be hanging out with Aunt Kimmy and Uncle Art. I'm excited, when I can stop to think about it for a minute. We haven't gotten to go to Orlando in YEARS. On the 2nd day, we're going to Magic Kingdom (the band is staying at Universal). So, without Alex, but he'll have more fun with his friends anyway. Kate's excited about Disney, since all her friends go there all the time and she doesn't. We plan to pack the day and stay for the fireworks show at night, and we know we'll be bone tired but I think it's going to be worth it. 

Let no one say we aren't making memories this year! I'm grateful for a place to record them, here. I sometimes feel like my blog must be so boring, as mostly a recap of the run-around schedule. Why would you read mine when you have one of your own?! I don't take the time for insight or contemplation, or well-written phrases that make anyone laugh or bring a tear to your eye. I wish I were that kind of writer. But right now I'm a memory record-keeper, and that has to be okay.

1 comment:

suzanne day by day said...

We have the EXACT problem with phones at the table. We start out with good intentions (or at least, with scolding intentions) and then need a phone for one thing or another and then emails pop up or sports scores and we're not even talking to one another anymore. UGH!

Sounds like a very good decision to end piano -- although I can understand how difficult it must have been.