Thursday, December 30

Successful Christmas Gifts for our Teens

I spent so much time worrying over Christmas gifts this holiday season. Every year, Shawn starts saying in October, "We really shouldn't wait... we need to ask the kids what they want... we should get started Christmas shopping...." and every year, I agree with him. And then don't really start until after Thanksgiving. It's terrible. I would like nothing more than to FIX THAT, but HOW? This year seemed even harder for whatever reason. But Santa's delivery brought enough Surprise and Delight (always my goal) to make it a good Christmas for both kids, even if there were some very random things included. 

For Alex, Shawn happened to find a PS5 available in October or November, and he jumped on it. Alex had not even asked for this, but the boys in our family are gamers and therefore any gaming system is a good bet. This was the main gift, obviously; everything else for Alex was silly IMHO (and I bought everything else). There was a good quality Braves jacket (for a kid who rarely wears a jacket, but oh well)... a poster frame for this year's marching band show poster... some toiletries stuff... some new pajamas... a book by one of his favorite authors (never a bad idea, so point for me)... and some gift cards. 

Kate's main desire was clothing from lululemon. This is the Esprit of the 2020s, I guess; all the girls MUST have it. It's expensive, so Santa brought her one pair of leggings, and grandparents bought some other items. She had also asked for a pair of Nikes, which she and I bought together at Thanksgiving (so she could try them on, and because her size is hard to find). I asked her permission to wrap them and put them under the tree, since they were already on her wish list, and she agreed. Womp, wommmmp, sad trumpet. You know you're mature when you agree to that! Sorry, Kate. She had given us more of a wish list, so she also got a skincare kit (Drunk Elephant brand), 3 vinyl records by Taylor Swift, a sushi-making kit I found on Amazon, a milk frother for lattes, and some new perfume. And gift cards. It still probably didn't add up to the same monetary total as the PS5, but I'm okay with that. We've already used the sushi kit (fun!) and the milk frother (super fun!) so I feel like those gifts elicited the "delight" I'm looking for. Or maybe I like them for myself, ha! They do live in my kitchen... ;)

Stockings were stressful, too, and I do not feel like I did a very good job there. New shower scrubbies (loofahs) for everyone, some nail polishes for Kate (so she'll quit using mine), random travel-size items and candy, and lottery scratch-offs. I was glad they're old enough for those now - I remember getting them in my stocking when Florida introduced a lottery when I was a teen. I should have gotten more gift cards, I think, or put cash in stockings - it just didn't seem like "enough." Which is silly. Maybe I need to start employing a Swistle mentality about stockings and buy/stash away year-round.

Last note: I have never done matching Christmas Pajamas for our family, but this year I kept seeing people's photos who DO that, and I was jealous. So I am doing it next year. I'll order them online from LL Bean if I must, but I think it's so cute. 

4 comments:

Sherry said...

Wanted to comment just so you know I'm reading and really enjoying your blog posts! Amazing about the kids getting COVID -- I guess I'll get Madison a booster when they are available. Christmas for teens is interesting. Kinda funny -- Madison got lots of clothes, a new backpack she didn't really want, and a composter! She's been on me about composting for months, so I decided the fancy composter could be a Christmas present. Of course, the true present will be MY time setting it up and putting things in it. We'll see how that goes. All is well and busy here. I'm glad a slower season is coming, or at least I would be if it didn't come with fear of Darryl's increased chances of depressed days. I'm trying hard to stay peaceful and grateful. Most days it's working. I'd be doing a little better if I were less worried about Madison. She's so thin and is studying way way way too hard for school. I'm not sure what I should be doing about it. I just tell her all the time to eat and study less -- that is SO helpful! But maybe she is okay and I just need to stop worrying. But maybe not. I'm taking her to the doctor in a couple of weeks -- to make sure she isn't losing weight. Sorry -- that's my life in a nutshell! It's not as bad as all that. I love my job, my family, even our church, and I'm getting to read A LOT! Yay!

Lee said...

Parenting teen girls is truly no joke. Kate has similarly changed and seems to eat less (is it my imagination or does she do this on purpose? it worries me) and stress about grades more. I hope all will be well for them both, and it will, these once blondie babies of ours. <3

suzanne day by day said...

Oh I LOVE your list of gifts. It's such a fun peek into the future. Sounds like your daughter is well past that point of transition from toys to more grown up desires, which is a relief. I remember being so sad when I was about ten, and WANTING clothing but also still longing for Barbies and toys that felt a little childish. You did a great job, Lee. (And the PS5 -- my husband would have DIED to get one of those, so I am guessing it was a huge hit!)

Happy New Year to you and your family!

Shannon said...

Cool list of gifts! Glad you were a successful Santa!