Last Friday, I drove myself and Kate to our weekend sports getaway in Charlotte, NC. Second weekend in a row. It was a perfectly normal road trip, except for lots of construction on one stretch of I-85 through SC and NC which made my knuckles white and my pedaling foot tired. We arrived at our hotel, got parked and checked in, and then quickly drove to the site of the first basketball game of the tournament, to watch our boys' team.
I found a seat on the bleachers. The phone buzzed. "Guess what" from Alex.
It was around 5:30; I thought for sure the cats had finally knocked over my vase of flowers from Valentine's Day. But no: The next message was this:
Y'all, I was overcome. I loudly gasped right there in the gym. Thank goodness I was with friends, who were so sweet and congratulatory and understanding when I got SO teary. OUR BOY IS GOING TO COLLEGE. What a moment. WHAT a blessing! Bless dear Alex, for sharing it with me! My heart still gets going when I think about receiving the news.
It's been hard, since he didn't apply early decision, seeing lots of his peers start receiving their letters already. I thought we would have to wait all the way to March, so this was a huge surprise in the middle of February.
Of course, he still has 2 more schools from which to hear, before he makes a decision. But this utter RELIEF that yes, he WILL go to a university and not be resigned to the commuter college down the street (which is a good school, but you know).
HE DID IT.
4 comments:
HOORAY!!! Many congratulations to him, on this achievement!!! And to you, for guiding him and loving him through to this big moment! Woo hoo!!!
I am so darn proud of him.
Hooray! Congratulations to Alex!
Whoo-hoo! Whew -- I know you are happy and relieved! What a good person he is, and you've helped him to be!
Post a Comment