Thursday, June 2

Things I'm Excited to Buy

First, though: Graduations!
Last Tuesday:

And last Thursday:


We did it! Both kids decorated with Honors, making us so very proud.
I also got Covid. I don't want to talk about it. 


-------------

I have some things on my summer wish list right now; want to talk about them? 

1. A new wall calendar! Our very last St. Joe's school calendar ends in June -- it has been a constant companion on our fridge these last 13 years (!), handy because it already had half of the important dates printed on it. I'm happy because 2022 calendars should be on sale, probably, and I can finally choose a pretty one. (The St. Joe's calendar, while handy, was not pretty in any way.) 

2. A beach-read paperback! I just started The Midnight Library on my Kindle, and I can tell I'm going to like it; however, I will probably finish it before our vacation at the end of this month, and besides, I am not a fan of bringing my Kindle Fire to the beach. Stupid glare. I could go back to using my original Kindle, I guess, with its paperwhite screen... maybe I will dig that thing out and try to charge it and see what happens. But still: A good paperback is the ticket. I have no idea what I want so I might allow myself a fun trip to Barnes & Noble to browse -- one of my very favorite things in the world is to browse a bookstore and leave with something new!

3. Feta cheese. This is silly and small, but I keep seeing "summer salad" recipes online that use orzo and feta (and veggies, of course). I bought the orzo this past weekend but I forgot the feta. The salads seem so delicious and refreshing (just please: no mint) and I need some new lunch inspiration. 

4. New athletic shoes. I've been wearing Asics Women's Gel Venture the last several years in a variety of colors, and I like them, but I'm also kinda ready for something new. I'm trying to be good about buying athletic shoes frequently, because that's one thing my doctor told me about both back pain and foot pain: Wear good shoes. Old-lady shoes. Supportive shoes. So, fine, I'm an old lady. At some event I was at recently, two women were talking about these Hoka One One (?) shoes that seem to be trending; I never know what's on-trend so I was glad for a little insight. I would rather not spend $150/pair, but sometimes it's worth it.

5. All the dorm things! Yesterday Alex secured a dorm room for himself and his roommate, and I've been reading the packing lists and looking at the pictures and trying to start thinking about buying all of that stuff. It's so hard! For one thing, you just don't know exactly what the kid will want, maybe not until they get there and start living there. I guess I should stop right there and just be okay with waiting -- there is such a thing as Amazon Prime, after all. If he gets there and decides he needs XYZ storage cabinet, we can order it and have it to him in 2 days. Also, it's hard having a boy who claims he doesn't really care about rugs or full-length mirrors or comforter designs, when I myself would like his room to end up looking like something the Property Brothers designed -- subtle, yet neat and sensical. Ha! I guess I will hope that he'll develop a Personal Style as he gets older, and until then, a bed with a pillow is truly all he needs (and all there's room for! it's like decorating a Tiny House)!

3 comments:

Sherry said...

Hooray, awesome Thrash kids!!! Your paragraph about Alex's dorm room -- hilarious. I bought the Hoka shoes -- love them. I previously wore the old lady Orthofeet shoes -- also love. But had to get firmer ones because I have turf toe from yoga. All my yoga injuries -- funny and not funny. I've stepped way back on yoga. But yes, I do the expensive shoes and I replace them often. Loved The Burgess Boys -- thank you so much for that suggestion. Also loved The Midnight Library -- not the quality of The Burgess Boys but still loved it. I'm reading The Untethered Soul at this second -- I'm not becoming suddenly enlightened but always working on improving the head talk. But I want to read Cloud Cuckoo Land next -- have no idea if I will like it, though. Looking forward to seeing what you choose.

Shannon said...

Congrats to the kids!
Sorry to hear you are sick. I hope your symptoms are mild and pass quickly.
Good luck with your shopping! Do you follow Grown and Flown? They have several articles about dorm shopping that I hope contain good advice.

suzanne day by day said...

Congratulations!!!! So exciting! Your new grads look so proud and pleased.

But boooooo for Covid. I hope you are feeling better!