---------
In an attempt to relieve all the lower back pain I've been having -- A LOT, more intense at the time of the month, but nearly always, even without that -- I've been stretching my hamstrings. Morning and evening, those "reclined 4" stretches where you lay flat, cross one ankle over the other bent knee, then pull up both legs toward your chest. And then also just straight-leg-into-the-sky stretches, focused on elongating the hamstring. Ooof. It hurts so good. I was hopeful that 7 days, twice a day, 4x each side and each exercise, would start to make a difference in my back... but today is the 7th day, and as of yet, no dice. I will keep going.
I also bought a seat cushion made of gel and ergonomically constructed. It's much more comfy than the hard kitchen chair, that's for sure. But it also causes my feet to no longer touch the floor and I know that to be the most correct posture, ergonomically. I am determined to figure this out.
People always say core, core, core to support and protect the lower back. I am not doing sit-ups, no matter what. I will do planks and standing-abs work and maybe a few Pilates-like moves, but I don't like it, Sam I Am. So here's hoping the stretching helps after 14 days. (I have also considered trying a Pilates studio, but that's only IF the rest of this stuff doesn't help at all.)
As long as I'm updating the "health" category, I went to the doctor yesterday and my cholesterol is still good. Thank you, Lipitor.
Oh, another thing I bought that may be silly, but I couldn't resist: this foot-roller contraption. I haven't been as diligent about using it as doing the back stretches. Still waiting for it to be a miracle cure for the pain I feel in my heels every morning.
Don't you just love when old people talk about nothing but their aches and pains?!
-----------
We returned from a little Orientation jaunt to the Univ. of GA. What fun! Shawn and I were like two kids in a candy store, and Alex very generously let us talk to him, when he was with us. Everything was so well planned! The amenities are so great! (And people wonder why the cost of college has gone up so much.) The school did a good job of dividing the time evenly, letting the kids be with other kids and leave us old people to our own devices (i.e., lectures from administrators). He slept in the dorm while we stayed in a hotel. He had fun things to do at night while we went to dinner and then watched a documentary in the hotel room. He met with his advisor and then registered for his first semester WITHOUT MY HELP at all! Imagine.
I know he is ready and now even more excited to start, and it's a good thing because the days left of summer are very few! In fact, Kate only has 2 weeks until her first day of school. This is our plight in the modern South - for some reason, we end school ever earlier in May and start near July when our air conditioners have barely cooled off the classrooms - it doesn't make sense.
But much of the weather doesn't make sense any more, does it?! We've had the rainiest summer I can remember. HOT, yes, like most of the country -- stupid hot. But also, so rainy. Nearly every day in July, I think, there has been rain. (Except the 2 days we were walking around in Athens, thank heavens.) Usually it includes thunder and lightning. I mean, I love a rainy day and it's generally good for my garden! But the tomatoes are a little overwatered at this point, and I'm not sure what to do about that.
Kate has two new books, which she asked for, so I hope she will be able to keep herself entertained today while I proofread a training manual for work. It's still hard, managing summer entertainment when you have to have a job -- but definitely easier than when they were younger. Yesterday, for instance, Alex and his girlfriend took Kate swimming at the girlfriend's pool. So nice of them. Last week, she did a one-day volleyball camp. I need to see if she can invite a friend over one day next week, to break up the monotony of the days. Maybe I can drop them at the mall for a while (although it's scary to think how many malls have been in the news lately, gah). Maybe not.
Today I've got red beans in the crockpot for our dinner. I'm not sure it's very summery, as far as meals go, but I didn't have to turn on the oven so it's a win.
2 comments:
Aches and pains! I've got 'em too! Let me know if your foot roller works. I'm still struggling with my own foot pain and am willing to try ANYTHING. Yay for your stretches and stable cholesterol!
Reading that made me stop and stretch my hamstrings. :) Course I have a strained hamstring that won't heal. I could talk aches and pains all day! But yay for college and some independence -- growing up!
Post a Comment