A friend of Shawn's had been ordering meals from EveryPlate, so we got a discount from them and opened an account. We've received 3 or 4 boxes, each with 3 meals inside. Mostly we've been only mid-whelmed. Not over- or under. The meals have been fine. (Only one that really didn't turn out well, a potato-corn chowder that I didn't even share with the family. I made it for myself, for lunch one day with plans to freeze it in lunch portions. I think I didn't like it because I didn't cut the potatoes small enough or cook them long enough.)
Anyway, it's not that interesting, except to note that EveryPlate has the same parent company, or is the same company as, Hello, Fresh, to which we formerly subscribed. EP is supposedly less expensive, and I think that's been true. I do enjoy having to buy less on the weekly grocery store run, when a box is delivered. That's a plus for sure. However, this last time I didn't cook one recipe in time and the veggies went bad.
Overall it's a thumbs-sideways. I'll cancel eventually and then look forward to the million emails and direct mailers/discounts trying to persuade me to come back.
I'm not in a season of cooking every night, though, that's for sure! Kate's practice schedule, and Shawn's schedule from Jan - Mar, had us scattered to the winds about 4 nights out of 5 during the workweek. I have bought a LOT of Chick Fil A this schoolyear. And Chipotle. Those seem to be our go-to take-out choices.
BTW, at Chipotle, I have tried, and like, their plant-based Sofritas. It's tofu, but delicious. I don't care for the amount of chicken those Big Burrito places feel is necessary; it's too much chicken!
When I was in Germany, I once again ate delicious Schnitzel and Kartoffelsalat. And now I feel I need to learn to make them both, for my kids' heritage's sake.
So, what's been on our menu this week? I'll tell you.
M - Chick-Fil-A After Kate's May extracurricular: Beach Volleyball!
T - EveryPlate pork soft tacos. These were good, there just wasn't a TON of flavor. But this was one that called for a long green pepper, which went bad, so I had to use a regular red pepper instead, and that might have made a flavor difference. We did enjoy having soft tacos - usually when I make tacos, it's Old El Paso hard shells (the best!), but these thick flour tortillas were a nice change-up.
W - Homemade Pizzas. Kate and I had EP veggie/BBQ/pineapple Flatbreads, technically, and Shawn had pepperoni on naan.
Th - Tonight I plan to make White Bean Chicken Chili. Haven't had it in a lonnnnnng time. And I think today is the last day before it heats up significantly (properly! this Spring has been too cold so far!), and chili is for cold weather.
F - Helpie Selfie or leftovers.
S - Out, in Athens I hope. We're going over there to bring back a first load of stuff from Alex's dorm room. He moves out next week! I can't believe his first year is already done!
2 comments:
This is not a cook-every-night season for us, either, and I'm mostly okay with that. Glad to know that Every Plate is probably not worth trying -- I like your description of it as "mid-whelming."
Alex's first year is done?!?!?! Whoa. I made white bean chicken chili for the first time last month and Madison and I loved it. Darryl did not. Cooking for this family means extremely plain meals -- non-saucy meat, vegetable, fruit, starch (rice, potatoes of some sort, pasta). At least it's usually pretty quick to prepare.
Post a Comment