Tuesday, November 7

All of the Things

Here are some things going on:

1. We got new floors in our house! Thanks to our darling kitties, the carpets were looking terrible:  Scratched all to heck at the thresholds, and many-times yuked-upon, unfortch (part of having cats). So now, the whole downstairs, the stairs themselves, and the upstairs hallway are a beautiful dark wood-looking Luxury Vinyl Plank, scratch- and water-resistant, and I LOVE them. I could not believe that the installers did all of it in ONE DAY. Granted, it was a very long day, and I felt imprisoned in my bedroom (with the equally imprisoned cats), but it was impressive and worth it. It feels like a grown-up house now. ;) We need a few area rugs. 

2. Because we emptied the large downstairs furniture, including bookcases in the living room and china cabinet in the dining room, we are now going to paint those rooms. And the half-bath. And, while we're at it, the rest of the upstairs rooms that we have wanted to paint since we moved in. The previous owners of this house painted everything a neutral (but yellow-y) sand color, and many of those walls are scuffed up now, not to mention boring. The master bed and bath, the office, the kids' bathrooms, and the guest room are all up next. It's going to be a big job, and we are hiring it out, not doing it ourselves, but still I have a little case of overwhelm about it at the moment. Hoping to get the downstairs done by Thanksgiving. The rest, I'm not sure. (I'm excited about it, yes! But overwhelmed.) 

3. Many, many job things. A 3-day meeting to plan. A product to relaunch. Two catalogs to edit and print. Plus all the stupid little things that come up every single day in my Inbox. Today I had an idea about how I could possibly remain a valuable member of the team ("retain top talent" is a goal of my manager), but not have to handle all of these marketing things. I wonder if I'm brave enough to speak to our HR manager about this idea.

4. A little freelance job. Thanks to my former manager for sending this easy work my way! It's fun work (proofreading), and an extra little pay will be nice. 

5. Helping my parents discern whether they need to move into assisted living, hire more in-home help, move here, stay there, or what. (Hi, Mom!) Of course this is a huge topic; more than I can blog about. I spent last week in FL with them and my sister and we had the major discussions about options, finances, long-term care insurance (a web of confusion if ever I saw one, second only to dealing with the VA), and their wants and needs. We're nowhere near a decision point, I don't think, but just having the conversations (and putting them into a spreadsheet, thanks Jilly!) is progress. 

6. Club volleyball started this past Sunday. So it's time to drive to and from practice 3 days a week and get ready for weekends to be spoken-for, woo-hoo! 

7. The social life of a teenage girl! My goodness, do these kids ever slow down? No. No, they do not. If there isn't a practice or an event, they find a way to create one. Like last night, around 4, she told/asked me if she and her 5 friends could go to dinner and a movie (there's no school today)? And could we please drive? I was still finishing my workday and had been thinking how nice it would be to make an easy dinner, eat, and just chill for one night this week. I can't decide if it's just Kate's personality as an extrovert, or is it the fact that she has a large group of friends... Probably both. But once again, I find myself counting down the days until she is driving (reluctantly, reluctantly, my babeeeee on the road...) so that I can catch my breath! I will say, we did drive them to dinner last night and Shawn and I ate at the same place, several tables away of course. So it was a win in some ways! 

8. We're going into the busiest season of the year, lol! Bring on the holidays, because why not?! Thanksgiving will likely be at home, and I'm hoping we can go to FL-home for Christmas with Mom and Dad. I've bought one gift so far, and Shawn has bought one. Let's choose to say we're ahead of the game! 

I'm grateful for this full life! Taking it one thing, one day at a time. Seeking the joys. 

2 comments:

suzanne day by day said...

Oh, I empathize with you about the floors and the painting! It is SO worth it, but the process, even when someone else is doing the work, is a challenge for sure. And I am with you on needing some area rugs. Rugs are their own challenge!

The family stuff sounds really complicated, too. My parents moved into a retirement home this summer, with built in assisted living and memory care, should they need those things, and I feel such a tremendous sense of relief that they are in a place that can meet their needs as they age. I hope you and your family find something that works for all of you.

Sherry said...

Wow -- so much stuff! New floors -- want them -- yay!