Update: the Orlando trip went well! We made it, found our hotel, found the convention center, and all was fine. My organization skills weren't even necessary - is that the lesson??
---------
I went to a department store yesterday afternoon, because I needed a dress or outfit to attend a breast cancer-related gala this weekend, for work. Sadly, it's for work and there was only one ticket, so my plus-one isn't invited. Happily, though, I found something to wear.
Being at that store, though, was so weird. Department stores have tried to evolve with the times, I guess, but haven't really succeeded. They're such a throwback to the '80s! And I don't know how they remain at all solvent, with alllll that inventory. I've learned in my job that product on the floor, or in the warehouse in our case, is like bags of money just sitting there, where a few dollars escape from the bag every day. I guess that's why many of them have NOT remained solvent.
Pricing was hilarious. "Original prices" of $85 or $100 -- but the whole store was "up to 65% off!" I got a skirt for around $12.00. Do they make any money? (And then, my eco-consciousness kicks in, and what happens to the stuff they can't sell?)
I also noticed how I was drawn to so many styles that my younger self would have considered especially "old-lady!" Haha! The flowy organza shrug over a tank top. The sequin-accented collars and shoulders (what?!). The PANTS. I mean, yes, my calves still look pretty good as I near fifty, but I am actually considering wearing black pants to this gala -- I figure if I have pretty shoes, that cancels out the pants. LOL the justification.
Also of note, I haven't bought much new for spring/summer, and I am, in fact, going somewhere for Spring Break, in just a few weeks. Kate and her friends convinced me and 2 other moms to chaperone a girls' beach trip to 30A. We may regret it. But until the regret, I'm trying to anticipate some enjoyment; hoping we moms get to sit on our beach chairs and read, and drink a little, without having to manage the "kids," who are admittedly old enough to care for themselves, if still a bit precarious with things like safety and decorum. We'll see. But I don't think I have the right things to wear! All my shorts are wrinkled from not being pulled out of drawers yet this year, and besides that, they're boring and several years old. I saw, last night, kelly green shorts and capris -- so spring! so bright! I saw some ruffled-sleeve tank tops that were so cute. One in stark white that I'm not brave enough to wear until I use some self-tanning lotion. But white seems so trendy. I saw a few cute pairs of sandals; my sandals are orthopedic, lol. They're blue, but I wouldn't call them cute.
Maybe this shopping trip was what we'd call an exercise in humility. Made me want to buy a few more things, though. At least I have some swimsuits (bought last summer).
---------
It is raining cats and dogs at the moment! Alex is driving home within the next few hours, for another weekend visit. Yay! but not yay, in the rain, you know? I'll never get over being nervous with a kid driving in bad weather.
1 comment:
Hahaha - yes, I have experienced that same phenomenon of being drawn to "old lady" clothing. So funny, how our tastes change! I am dreading summer clothing and swimming suit opportunities. Ugh. I've ordered and returned a bunch of suits because it seems like my only option is a skirted bottom, and I don't LIKE that, but I don't like the way anything else looks on my lower half. Sigh.
Post a Comment