Monday, April 11

Surrounded

We seem to be surrounded lately with news of families dealing with difficult things. I mean, my Prayer List, if I actively used such a thing, is a mile long (as it is, I say, "prayer list" in my mind, and I do think about and pray for these people when I think of it, but mostly ask God to "please remember all the friends I've been meaning to pray for," and hope He knows who I'm talking about).

-- a friend from high school whose older brother died suddenly, 2 weeks ago
-- my choir director, who went in for heart surgery and has had complications (on the mend now, thank God)
-- a college acquantaince and roommate of a good friend, who's having a drug addiction relapse, again
-- AJ's teacher, whose 4-month-old baby has just been admitted to the hospital for heart trouble
-- a former colleague, who's having surgery this week
-- DH's coworkers who were laid off last week
-- my church friend whose brother, I just found out, is homeless and she doesn't know how to help or approach him
-- my book club friend whose son is having speech delays and she's walking that scary "spectrum" tightrope, waiting for diagnosis
-- another church friend whose daughter was married less than a month before her new husband began abusing her (now going thru divorce and criminal charges)
-- my coworker whose hair is falling out from chemo

It pains me that all this is happening to people I know. I can't imagine how it feels - nothing tragic has really ever happened in my own, immediate daily life. I don't know how I got so lucky (and I can't help but wonder, so morbidly and inappropriately, when will it be our turn - am I the only one who does that)? I look at my kids laughing and running and sleeping peacefully, my husband working so hard and keeping me entertained at the same time!, my parents being attentive and loving my whole life, my job staying intact, our health fine... and I am overwhelmed with the inexplicable goodness of my life.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Amen, sister.

nicole said...

Of course we all think about our own lives and wonder when things will take a turn for the worse. It is only human. But we try not to dwell on that. I'm sorry you are so burdened with hurt for so many right now.