We had a power outage today at office building - an accident of some sort, so whole city blocks were without power. I was sent home to finish out the day on my laptop. Total gift and luxury to be able to work at home -- alone, with no kids to supervise / feel guilty about. I sat outside for the first hour and a half, writing an article and submitting it for approval.
After that I came inside and treated myself to a half-hour yoga session, just because I can. It was crappy -- Namaste TV, I think? hastily found on YouTube -- but full of breathing, (a little too fast for my taste), which I needed. I needed to "empty of everything" and fill it with breath. I was extremely frustrated by work yesterday evening, and once again flustered/flummoxed by Kate this morning. We're working on it. I'M working on it. (She doesn't want to work on it much.) But I was drained and needed that extra, quiet breath.
My "new" (old?) annoying manager resigned today. That's confidential. When I found out, I just laughed out loud. She was well on her way to being fired, anyway, as long as we're talking confidentially. Today at lunch we discussed how she uses several little tricks to make it seem like she's still in the office -- always leaves her computers on, lights on, even leaves a bag kind-of half open, near her desk, chair pushed back -- as if she's just gotten up for a coffee or a quick ladies' room visit -- but it'll be 3:30 pm and she'll just never come back. Her bosses and the important people had begun to notice. That among other things. But nope, she went ahead and resigned herself. One week notice. Hahahahahaha. I just can't even. This place is never devoid of something interesting or dramatic. I do wonder what in the hell will happen next.
My own workload seems to be full (I have to tell them frequently what is "my capacity" -- lately I've just been saying I'm at "max capacity" or above), because the idea of new assignments just sends me spinning. I can't even GET TO some of the existing assignments, or heaven forbid, come up with any NEW strategies or plans, just to be a leader / idea-bringer. Wouldn't that be nice? But it'll never happen. I feel so guilty sometimes, that my parents paid a big walloping college tuition bill for me to be still doing a low-on-the-totem-pole job (even though I do have a nice-sounding title). How did that happen? I did everything right, really -- the internships, the "paying of entry-level dues..." it's just that the companies I've landed at haven't had anywhere much for me to go. I mean, I'm writing now, at least there's that -- something I like and am good at, and have been doing consistently for a while, but I don't necessarily feel like an "expert" at it. [Well, especially not when they still feel the need to EDIT ME so much, when I AM supposed to be The Editor. Global Content Specialist, I mean, right? That sounds important, or like I would have THE authority over the writing at the company. But nope, I don't.]
Sometimes I wonder if I'll find THE THING late in life. Like, I'll finally be inspired to write a book (lately I've been thinking it would be about my interesting (?) 20+ years in a cubicle) when I'm in my fifties or something. And will sell it to a real publisher and do book tours and speaking engagements. Haha. Is that a wish/dream/hope? I don't know. Maybe. But will that story even be useful by the time I'm in my fifties?
Whew, all that fast breathing must have gotten to me. Stream of consciousness is not a bad thing, though. Gets the dust out of the corners sometimes.
Anyway, I am enjoying a somewhat free day. :)
1 comment:
Well, we came home from Disney World late last night, and the first thing I did this morning was open your blog. You definitely could write a book. I'm reading a really, really bad book right now -- I mean poorly written. Why do I keep reading it? It's easy, I guess. I definitely have post Disney fatigue. It was a little bit of a tough trip, with D hitting a mild but extremely inconvenient depression period right there at the end of it. Today Madison is grumpy -- very unusual for her -- and it just makes me feel as if I can't do anything right. Theatre business is so-so right now. ... Speaking of, yeah, I need to get to work. ... Your job seems pretty important and cool to me. I know you are tired of it, but from an outside viewpoint, it seems well worth the college education. You could go back to school and be a lawyer or something at this point, I suppose, but that doesn't sound fun!
Post a Comment