Friday, November 6

Choir, on a positive note


Let me just start this with a huge Siiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhh. Because that is, in general, how I feel by Thursday night at 7:00 p.m. I donnnnnn't wanna.

But yesterday I decided to talk myself out of that crap. To direct my thoughts a little. To TELL myself, "I am going to choir because I enjoy singing. I enjoy being with these funny people. I am furthering my music education, and I like doing that." I don't know what all exact words I used. But during the drive there, I kept thinking it. When I got there, one of the men who drives me a little bit crazy pulled up at the same time I did. But I stopped myself from rolling my eyes (not that I would ever do so TO his face, just inside my own car), and instead tried to think, "How do I want this person to see me? As "that nice young lady who's always so kind to me." Not as, "That soprano who always seems tired and a little closed off."

I've also been trying to think of vocal breathing as another kind of yoga breathing. They're not the same thing, obviously, but breathing is good either way. :)

So, last night's rehearsal was better, with a positive intention behind it. I also remembered that choir can be my only time to (sorry for the cliche) "break open the Word" a little bit. The hymns we sing, of course, are usually based on Scripture, and Lord knows I don't have (make) time to read it. When it speaks to me personally, which happens a lot, hey, that's a lovely bonus. "Singing is praying twice," and all.

Anyway, life. It's true we humans are learning all the time, and still haven't figured it all out. More for me to be diligent about. :)

No comments: