Not necessarily festive, but altogether delicious!
(makes 2 loaves)
3 cups all purpose flour
2.5 cups sugar
1.125 cups (that's one and one-eighth cups) vegetable or canola oil
1.5 cups milk
3 eggs
.5 tsp salt
1.5 tsp baking powder ('exsqueeze me? baking powder?' I always think this. Still.)
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 tsp almond extract
1.5 tsp butter extract
2 tsp poppyseeds
Grease 2 loaf pans. Mix all ingredients together with a spoon, pour into pans, and bake at 350 for one hour.
Glaze:
.25 cup orange juice
.75 cup sugar
.5 tsp vanilla ext.
.5 tsp butter ext.
.5 tsp almond ext.
Bring to a boil and pour over hot bread.
Only thing hard about this recipe is that you may not have butter extract on-hand. But you SHOULD!! I found it at my regular grocery store. And it will seem like there is too much glaze. Not so! It'll soak in and make everything even more LOVELY.
PS - sorry about the decimals. I wanted to do 1/4c for the 1/4c items, but then it was inconsistent and I had to edit that. Decimals seem much less elegant but then again, cooking is the only science I've ever loved, so there ya go.
4 comments:
Excellent. And there's GLAZE! Even better!
Ooh, you're gonna make us do math! :)
Sounds delish. I'll definitely have to try it.
I'm going to make this as soon as I recover from the stomach flu. This is the first food item I've been able to think about without wanted to hurl. That's a good thing.
Thanks for this! My husband RAVES about his Polish Nana's poppyseed bread, so it's nice to have this recipe fall in my lap. Mmmmm.
Post a Comment