Monday, January 7

More bold moves

First it was OUT with the list-making.

Then today, I actually said NO to something, just because I DIDN'T WANT TO DO IT. This all-good-for-me, all the time, attitude is surprising.

The commitment was a request to sub for a cantor at Mass this Saturday. At first, I quickly but reluctantly typed out, "Sure, I can take it, Ralph. Hope you have a very Happy Birthday. Send me the song list if you can." Then I backspace-deleted every letter and typed,

"Sorry, Ralph, I'm afraid I'm already committed for Saturday. Hope someone else can sub for you. Have a very Happy Birthday!"

(Even though guess what? I'm not committed!) DANG, that feels good. I hit "Send" with no regret.

5 comments:

nicole said...

I am doing the same thing. I was supposed to meet with my old FAMILIA group, women that I love. But I was tired and just wanted to stay home, so I did. It felt so good.

MaryB said...

You go, girl! I love it!

Anonymous said...

How do you start doing this? Do you take a pill? Wear special jewelry that transmits KNOW HOW TO SAY NO vibes? I am still feeling guilty about quitting the moms group I quit MONTHS ago! Gah.

Anonymous said...

It's the power of e-mail. You can change your mind with a single keystroke!

Skiplovey said...

Oh man I seriously need to start doing more of that. Do you have a special guilt eraser for when you actually do say no? Or the huge wave of empowerment from actually saying no counteracts all semblance of guilt? whatever it is, I need.