Thursday, January 17

Not Snow Much

Well, metro Atlanta survived our fifteen flakes of snow with nary a frostbitten pinky toe, as usual making mountains out of molehills. Me included. I guess we just can't help getting excited to see the white stuff we hear so much about falling out of the actual sky. AJ and I were coming out of the grocery store when it started, and his first-time enthusiasm coupled with my nostalgia made for tongues hanging out to catch it, and positively joyful laughter as we soaked up the wintery-ness of it all. It was so fun to watch him. I may have accidentally mentioned that if it snowed a lot we wouldn't have school. And in my defense, they were predicting a lot of frozen rain and low overnite temps, which might have wrecked the streets and power lines... but it didn't. It all ended with some very uninteresting rain, making things just wet and annoying instead of "fairytale wonderland." Oh well.

Luckily, AJ went off to school this morning without any protesting, which has become pretty rare until this week. I think we're over yet another little tantrum hurdle -- when do these stop, exactly? Sigh. He's doing great in his new classroom, though, bringing home artwork where he has lined up elephant pictures from biggest to smallest, or drawn lines in diagonals across the page from SOCK to SHOE and HAT to HEAD and other things that match. I just love watching him learn.

I went to the OB yesterday and have finally gone all the way through their rotation, so I saw a doc I'd seen before, and decided I really like him. He's got a gentle bedside manner but tells it like it is, and I appreciate both of those things very much. Here's hoping he is on call the day I deliver. We've also got the nursery coming together (slowly but surely) and I washed a big load of itsy bitsy clothes -- none of which really needed washing. My friend who donated girl things to me obviously washed them before she gave them to me -- they even smelled like detergent -- and I had washed my own stuff before binning it three years ago.... but still. [Aside -- I am surprised at how many of AJ's onesies and little sleep gowns I am getting to reuse. He seems so BOY now, I forgot that sometimes 'baby' is just 'baby,' no matter what flavor you get. We had a ton of yellows, oranges, and greens and I'm so excited to cuddle and squeeze see them again. Hee.] You feel like you WANT TO do those Dreft loads. It's a ritual or something, a true PART OF getting ready for a baby. Next up is the casserole-freezing, I guess. And muffins. (Inspiring!)

7 comments:

Mary said...

The muffin link doesn't work; do not tease me with the muffins! Please, SHOW ME THE MUFFINS!!

Swistle said...

Hm, does THIS link work?

I agree, washing the clothes is a ritual that can't be skipped, even if they totally don't need to be washed.

MaryB said...

Its the ONLY time I enjoy doing laundry.

I am totally jealous of even a few flurries. We were promised some wintry weather, and got abolutely, positively NOTHIN!

Unknown said...

great post..the snow was pretty!!!!!

Madame Queen said...

Oh I washed load after load of little baby things, then folded and sorted and put them away. Periodically I'd get them out and just look at them. It *is* part of the ritual, I think.

Phooey about the snow, huh? When I told Bubba this morning that the snow was gone he got so mad and acted like it was *my* fault. Hey, I wanted a snow day, too!

Lauren said...

Well, weather dot com is suggesting that we will have snow again tonight..."accumulation between one and two inches"...so we're expecting some very cold rain tonight :). Actually i really am stoked. I think it might snow again! Even if it is just a lil' bit-

Here's hoping....

Black Sheeped said...

You can have some of our seven inches. I'd gladly give up three or four. :)