Friday, August 29

Identity freaking crisis

*SIGH* This day and age, I swear. I now have so many multiple personalities (not to mention logins and passwords) that I can barely keep up with myself, and I'm supposed to be keeping up with two kids and a husband, too? WTH, Web 2.0?
  1. In February 2005, I didn't want to publish my kids' names or my last name on this blog because I didn't want all the wackos of the world to be able to find our house/school/whatever wackos want to find. I was also aware of the employer/potential employer's ability to Google. So it's anonymous.
  2. Except when I go and link to Vimeo where I've signed up using my real name, DUH.
  3. And never mind that half my regular readership is related to me. (Hi Mom! Hi Dad! Hi husband, sister, cousins!)
  4. The other half of you have likely emailed me at some point, and I wasn't smart enough to create an anonymous email to accompany the blog; just used my regular ol' junky yahoo address. So now you guys know my real name, too. Which is fine, I don't care about that because I like you, I really like you. But it seems dumb, now, to have an anon blog and a revealed email.
  5. I love Facebook and have become friends with a few of you guys and a LOT of old high school and college buddies. I definitely don't think I want all of them to be reading my blog so I don't publish its URL over there.
  6. I finally succumbed to the everloving Twitter tease, and set up my account... possibly without thinking, using my real and actual name. So I can't very well publish my Twitter feed here, can I? Haha, oh, isn't this fun?
  7. AND NOW my office has created Facebook and Twitter accounts. I want to become a fan of and follow them; however, my manager has said explicitly that we should have TWO identities for these things, one personal and one professional. Because he doesn't want our clients, who may also follow us, seeing "our naked toga party pics." (It's funny because we work in higher ed.) And I get it, and I don't want my clients on my real Facebook page, either, necessarily -- perhaps they don't need to know how often I'm playing TextTwirl?-- but ArrRRGHEHEH. Two Facebook accounts? Two Twitter accounts? Annoying.
  8. Oh, damn, I just remembered Flickr, too. Which I think I don't want to use, personally, anymore (don't like the way it functions) but the office may start using it for clients' photo archives, so again, I'll need to sign up with my Professional identity. Which is.. who, again?
Darling Husband, I just want you to know that if and when we get our Wii, I may not be up to creating YET ANOTHER Mii (me).

(....Who?)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well-written post. Funny. And so true.

MaryB said...

This is funny stuff...Oh, what a PIA technology is!

No blog linkage on my facebook either! I like all the "portions" of my life to not intersect. Like food on my plate not touching the other food on my plate...

Mandy said...

so true .... and TIRING!!!

MaryB said...

BUT Mii's are cute!

Julie said...

I'm trying my darndest to resist Twitter. So far, so good! It does seem like a lot to keep up with.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I don't have my blog on my facebook either...too many of my real life friends already read! (Not that I don't love them, but still...). Too bad about the Twitter. I'd be more than happy to follow you!

juliloquy said...

Ms. Thrasher, right?

winky wink