Monday, August 25

Puttering around the house

We had lingering effects of Tropical Storm Fay over the weekend, meaning gusty wind and overcast skies, and a little pittance of rain in the north suburbs. Still, it felt kind-of like fall, and made me wish it really WAS fall, with cool temperatures and a reason to crock-pot (v.)! I did, even without reason. I made red beans and rice and tomorrow I might even share the recipe I used, in the spirit of Trader Tuesday.

I just went outside this morning, and something about the way the trees, grasses, and my garage smelled made me want Loaded Potato Soup. Yum.

Our first Sunday School experience went... okay. AJ shed some nervous tears when I left him in his classroom, which ticked me off because I wanted to teach HIS CLASS and they didn't put me there. The whole reason I was doing this! But in the end, he said he had fun, and the class of Kindergarteners I'm teaching seems really sweet, too. I think it's probably going to be a good experience for both of us. (No update on my "New Best Friend," but she did a great job with the lesson plan so I like her that much more. Hee. Looking forward to working with her.)

Our weekend, looking back now, was packed! We attended YET ANOTHER friend's birthday party. I got an inferiority complex inside their enormous brand-new house. DH went to his annual Fantasy Football Draft. I went to dinner and a movie with Colleen. Together, we watched some of the last remaining Olympics (Group Rhythmic Gymnastics? Interesting! And Weird!), played as much Ben 10 (pretend) as we parents could stand, and watched KT baby jump in the Jumperoo. I swear I'm taking pictures tonight. Pinky swear. Somehow all of this seemed relaxing.

In the category of Homecaring, DH dusted and re-org'd AJ room, I did a load of towels, and we managed not to break the bank JUST yet (although my grocery trip tonight could get us close) -- this damn 2 kids in daycare gig is a lot pricier than I'd imagined. In fact, I didn't really imagine it at all -- just didn't THINK that adding another kid, without adding more salary, was going to feel quite so pinchy. Oh well. I've decided I'm asking for new bath towels for Christmas. :) Let someone else take care of my household expenses.

Hope your weekend was equally boring and nice.

4 comments:

MaryB said...

Great minds think alike!! We have proved it! I was goign to post my Cheater's Quick and Easy Red Beans and Rice Tomorrow!

Want to have a showdown?? I am TOTALLY kidding!!! I mean my title was already goign to be, "Look Away, Mandy and all other real Louisianans"

I will find another quick and easy weekinght dinner....since I figure those are more helpful to people than yummy desserts. The desserts are yummy and all, but you have to make dinner EVERY SINGLE NIGHT!

el-e-e said...

That's funny! I liked your Quick N Easy recipe the time I tried it. :)

Julie said...

I LOVE to crockpot cook! It has been cooler here, too, because of the rain.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants appliances/household items for Christmas. I recently asked Sid for a new faucet in the kitchen and a vacuum cleaner for Christmas!

Mandy said...

DUDES .. I JUST made white beans in the crock pot and wrote the "recipe" as I made them for trader day tomorrow AND AND AND I was going to ask for towels for Christmas too .. or at least gift cards to BBB or something!!!!