---1---
Is it REALLY Friday? Finally?? This week has seemed so long! So much to do! Wednesday and Thursday I just took the night off, though, from decorating or laundering or present-wrapping or baking. Last night I watched two episodes of 30 Rock, played on Facebook, and did little else. Tonight, though, I have to get productive. I'm planning to 1) bake something and 2) really give the kitchen a thorough cleaning before ALL the cooking of next week must begin.
---2---
Any Ally McBeal fans still out there? I find myself amused lately in the Unisex. (We actually DO have a Unisex! True story! It's a one-holer so you won't find someone of the opposite sex IN THERE, but it functions for both.) Seems I get to the office first nowadays, and this predicates something that makes me unreasonably happy.... I get a Fresh Bowl. Just like The Biscuit! Hee hee. I chuckle to myself every time. (And reading all his other eccentricities on that linked page makes me miss that show so much!) Strangely, I have never once listened to the show's CD which someone gave me as a Christmas gift several years ago. Might have to remedy that.
---3---
I'm having a hard time deciding WHAT to bake. I want to do some things that AJ will like, such as the easy cookies shaped like reindeer, that you make by slicing pre-fab cookie dough, pinching it in the middle, and putting on a red hot candy for the nose and mini-pretzels for antlers. BUT! Those aren't necessarily portable and I'm also baking for neighbors and coworker gifts. There are several old family recipes (Cathedral Candies, Sand Tarts, Bourbon Balls) but I'm feeling like they're a lot of trouble. Then there's Holiday Snow which is delicious, but not a cookie. What to do.
---4---
I'm getting tired of sharing our bed with AJ. God bless him, he comes in every night, and begins by sleeping on the floor right next to our bed (I toss one of our extra pillows down there to get it out of my way, and it has become HIS pillow). Later, though, once I'm GOOD AND ZONKED, he taps me on the arm and climbs into bed behind me. Sneaky kid -- I think he KNOWS I'm so far gone he can get away with it. I barely remember him doing this each night but I know I sit up so he can scoot into the middle. And then, 2 hours later I'm getting kicked in the back or poked up the nose. Last night I came to and dragged him back to his bed. He returned AGAIN. Usually, though, I don't even come to the first time.
What was I posting about it being a privilege yesterday? Hrmph.
---5---
Don't know what to do about Christmas Mass, as usual. It's so NOT a good time for Mass, y'know? (Isn't THAT the most despicable thing for a Catholic to say?) For one, it's a Wednesday/Thursday. For another, the 4:00 p.m. vigil Masses are packed with kids whose parents don't want to have to dress them up and haul them out the next morning. I hate the crowds even though I know, it's lovely that everyone wants to be there. But the next morning.... who wants to dress the kids up and haul them out?! There are presents! And coffee! And secular Christmas to celebrate! Plus, my in-laws aren't Catholic and none of THEM wants to get dressed up... You can suggest Midnight Mass and that I should just go alone, but ... whine. I don't want to be ALONE, and I need to get some CHURCH instilled in my kids, after all. I struggle with this every year.
---6---
Billing and reporting and invoicing and end-of-year, oh my! At work. These are a few of my non-favorite things.
---7---
I have five dollars in my wallet and I'm looking forward to Taco Bell for lunch today. Hee. I've eaten Office Holiday Potluck leftovers 2 days in a row (plus the actual Potluck making 3), and some good ol' fast food is going to be a welcome change. One of my Facebook buddies from West Texas was saying yesterday she ate an Allsup's (convenience store) burrito for lunch and felt no guilt. I've never had one of those, but I bet I would LOVE IT. I can chow down on low-budg burritos, LET ME TELL YOU. I like the kind you can buy frozen individually at the grocery store, and I used to LURVH the ones my elementary schools carried (both schools! different burritos!). My parents used to even get a bag of frozen ones from Sam's and MAN did I ever eat my share. Beans and whatnot wrapped in a tortilla? HAND IT OVER. :)
Go see Jen for other Quick Takes!
7 comments:
I SWEAR I was going to ask you today if you have ever made the Cathedral Window Candies ... my mom gave the recipe years and years ago:)
We are going to mass at St Joseph in Lutcher at 3pm on Christmas Eve, my mom says that time is too early to count but if the church is doing one that early than she supposes it must be ok. Also, I am worried about Collin thru the Mass ... we keep telling him it will be a little like Chapel at school ... we must start taking him before he goes to Catholic School pre-k next year... WE MUST.
Also, I heart Ally McBeal which may be why I love Boston Legal (damn them for stopping it) and Brothers and Sisters?
Thanks for sharing your quick takes. I enjoyed reading them! You got my attention when you brought up Ally McBeal. I miss that show! I shouldn't--it was so racy--but I do. Bygones.
Have a Merry Christmas!
I have Ally CD too!
also, does your church not have a later vigil besides midnight??? i thought all churches did these days like at 7 or 8 or 9??? those work out very well for us. but, honestly Im not hating the idea of 10 am Christmas morning...waiting to see what happens with Rich. H is on reserve the 23rd - 26th.
Baking - hmmm...Lara toffee bars are easy a nd DELISH! You must make truffles and reindeer food. Cookies - the favorite around here are DEFINITELY the almond raspberry thumbprints. i cant make them fast enough for these vultures!
Taco bell...yum, but Im thinking Arby's!
One of my quick takes is about Mass time too! I have no solution for you. Isn't that helpful? You're welcome. :)
Oh, Ally McBeal! I LOVED that show.
I also love Taco Bell. MMMmmmmm.
Ha! You crack me up with your burrito love.
I hear you on the mass. Since we now live 30 minutes from our church, we're going on Christmas Eve at the 4:00 service. I don't remember it being too crowded last year, so hopefully it won't be this year.
I, too, am unusually thrilled when in a public and/or unisex restroom and find a fresh bowl!
My motto is "anything wrapped in a tortilla is good"!
We have children's worship at 4pm on Christmas Eve and then traditional candlelight services at 6pm and 10pm. We're going to the 4pm and then I'm coming back alone for the 10pm. I'm actually looking forward to the solitude. Take your kids to the early mass and then you and hubby go back later. The kids will be asleep and the in-laws will be there, right?
Post a Comment