Wednesday, May 27

First thing in the morning

I come in to my desk, Starbucks in hand, ready to greet the rainy day with a SIGH and a pep talk to myself -- "Okay now, this can be a productive, nice day..." -- trying to gear up, you know, instead of being grumbly... and Yatt is next door telling her cubemate all about the history of her bladder infections. First thing in the morning. She got up to pee, and then, not one minute later, she had to pee again, and she thought, "This is a bladder infection." I'm sorry, but GROSS. I don't want to hear about that. Seriously. I'm sorry boutcha, but gah. Of course she uses some herbal remedy that is wwwwwwuuuuunnderful, because she is so smart.

I have a pair of yellow earplugs at my desk that I employ frequently.

----------------------

I woke up this morning at 5:30 thinking of work. Remember a filing system that we used to use at my old job, and that I had intended to put it in place here. That stupid work-thought wouldn't let me even wait the 6 minutes until my alarm went off.

----------------------

I have decided that DH and I deserve, and need, a cleaning service. Not this week, maybe not for a few months until we take care of some other financial things (BTW, we just paid off our 2004 Highlander. Woo! Now if the old one can only last another year, we can really make some headway in our checkbook balance). But sometime this year, I think we should explore hiring someone to do the vacuuming, dusting, bathrooms and kitchen once a week, or maybe every other week. I am documenting that thought here. DH is even on board with it. I believe it would not only help our cleanliness, but also our relationship. I think we both stress about the house not being clean, and it really wears on us. Isn't that weird? That a little dust and dog hair can take its toll on a marraige? But I really think it can, and does for a lot of couples in different ways. I can't believe it's taken me this long to figure out a possible solution for us. I'm anxious to start price shopping. Where do I do that? Craigslist? Does anyone use a house cleaning service regularly? Please advise. :)

5 comments:

LL said...

We have a cleaning woman who comes very 2 weeks for a few hours to do a good scrub of the floors, bathrooms, windows, counter tops, etc. Even though it's barely in our budget (she charges $85 each time), the amount of time it saves me actually cleaning, bugging JP about cleaning, and thinking about cleaning is truly worth it. In between the two weeks I'll vaccuum (or sometimes not) and straighten, but she cleans so well that everything else can wait until she comes back. It has been wonderful for everyone in the Lag Liv household and I would give up a lot before I gave up our twice monthly cleaning!

maggie said...

Dude I LOVE Yatt! I mean, she sucks for you, but is oh so entertaining for ME.

I recently did some cleaning service research and backed off when I saw what they were charging hourly. I'm still interested though, so I'm going to check back here to see what other people say! I don't think the messy house is a strain on our marriage because I doubt my husband even SEES it, but it's a strain on ME- my early wake up thoughts are about how I need to vacuum the stairs and other tasks I never seem to be able to get done. GAH.

Stacie said...

I have to admit I enjoy listening to the Yatt stories since I have one of those ladies in my office (when I used to work in an office). Most days it makes me feel nice to work from home - my quiet home office by myself. :) Happy Wednesday Lee.

nicole said...

With both of you working, you should definitely give yourselves that break. I don't work and I still have a hard time finding the time/energy/desire to get it all done.

Mandy said...

I would go out at lunch and buy a bottle of cranberry juice and leave it on Yatts desk when no one was looking. Seriously:)

I say go for it with the cleaning service ... I would like to have someone come here and do a really good deep cleaning .. let us know what you find out!!