On the heels of that post about my dearest friend from high school (and still today!), and how much I miss her, I can report that I have a potential new friend made through AJ's school. This has been on my to-do list, because long-distance friends are wonderful, but local friends are sort-of imperative.
I say "friend," but I guess we're still really in the flirting, getting-to-know-you stage. I sat next to her briefly at the very first classroom orientation in August and was struck by her adorable haircut and put-together outfit. Hee. I was like Tina Fey's character on 30 Rock, feeling like I looked studious, but probably disheveled. She was dressed like I wished to be -- a sort-of Katie Couric to my Tina. Hee. She told me that night where she works, and I thought, "Dingdingding! Another working mom - we can relate to each other, SCORE." Maybe she will be less able, like me, to meet people by volunteering from 8-3 at the school.
So at the Kindergarten Moms' coffee 2 weeks ago, we waved and sat near each other... but not too near, both of us wanting to remain open to other friendships, and not seem stalker-y. (At least, that was what I was doing.) I nearly emailed her that day after the coffee, but hesitated.
This past weekend, finally, the school had its annual fall picnic, and (hooray!) she was one of the first faces I saw when we arrived. We introduced our husbands and followed each other around the whole day, really. (Puppy love!) I'm being silly, but really, it does seem like she's as interested in being my friend as I am in being hers. (oh, how the heart flutters!) Her daughter sits at the same table as AJ. Fate! We both work in marketing. We have a mutual friend/acquaintance, it turns out. She even cries at Disneyworld like me. (You know how it is, the MAGIC and the DREEEEEAMS and all.)
This friendship is obviously meant to be. I have to tell myself to act natural. Smile. (Not too much!) Hi, my name is...
3 comments:
She'll be lucky to get you as a friend!
ditto what sdw said!
and, also, I reccomen not accidentally spitting on her! hee hee!! although, she and I are still friends so maye go ahead.
This is so cute. I get the same way around potential mom friends. Most of the women I know who are in my age group are not moms yet (or even married) so when I meet one it's very hard not to come on too strong. ;) I better start working on my pickup lines before school rolls around!
Post a Comment