Thursday, October 29

More about happy

For those who don't know, my job is in e-business and PR. I do a lot of writing -- some web pages and articles, mostly short press releases, magazine articles, intro paragraphs, headlines, and e-newsletters about our company and our products, and related things. Health/wellness is a frequent topic, and something I'm personally interested in (though not good about sticking to my own self!). I do some hiring of freelance writers, some photography selection, and list/database maintenance of our subscribers.

In theory, I should love my work. Sure there's that database thing, but there are always administrative things about a desk job. Mostly the job is writing, and clearly, I like to write (blog much?). I always did well in school with papers, and studied languages so I should have a good command of the English one. (Save for that last sentence.) However, the writing doesn't always come easily to me. It's not like, "Oooh, today I get to write that article for XX magazine. Yay!" No. I procrastinate and fret over it. (When I finally dig in, I'm fine.) One important note,I LOATHE doing interviews, which is pretty much required for writing well-informed news articles. I never had any intention of being a reporter, and my work does require a bit of that technique.

Tess's comment yesterday got me thinking. Of course I love some things about my particular job. My company is Good. I work close to home. They're flexible and family-friendly. It allows me my lifestyle. Plus, I get to work with photography/design. But somehow I still don't love the work I do. But I hear of people who own a business - like, say, a lovely little bakery. Or who work with animals. Or... I don't know, actors?... who really get a rush from the actual WORK they do.

I would like to have that, someday.

So it seems I should be on the lookout for a different job. Really take the plunge and FIND what it is that would make my heart sing. I even know how to explore this: I've read self-help books before. Volunteer. Take a class. Network in my off-time.

Oh the other hand: Why can't I just be happy with the status quo? Why should I have to RISK things -- security, pay level, etc. -- when I already have such an amazing life? Shouldn't I just be GRATEFUL for what I have and not focus on the small details that maybe aren't so great? I mean, life isn't guaranteed to be 100% wonderful. And work requires work, otherwise they wouldn't call it that.

I think I'm going around in circles. But parsing it out is helpful, so bear with me.

I did contemplate some things that could be personal "Resolutions," if I were going to try a Happiness Project.
  1. Breathe deeply throughout the day. (being mindful, stopping the "I don't like this, I'm bored" monologue in my head for a few minutes to just Be... etc.)

  2. Listen to more music. Seriously, I need to fire up the iPod MUCH more often for a mood lifter.

  3. Dress well. (Dress better.) This might seem silly, but since my company is so great, we don't have to dress up in heels and hose all the time. But when I wear pants that don't fit well, or a plain t-shirt that I bought at Target 2 years ago... it does nothing for my mood. (Duh.) One reason I work is so I can afford things, and nice clothes need to be one of those things. I've dressed better the last couple of days (IMHO), and I HAVE felt better. Not to mention more professional. (Own it!)

  4. Connect with people each day. Including my husband. Sometimes we're just on auto-pilot, you know? We talk, but don't really engage. At work, too -- instead of a non-committal, "Hey, how are you?" I need to put some effort into it. ASK people about their families. Don't hole up in my cubicle, counting down 'til 4:30 pm.

It's time I really work on this, and I'm going to start with these little ideas. Everybody knows if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. ;)

3 comments:

Tess said...

I really need to dress better too, especially at work. SIGH.

maggie said...

One thing I never figured out: the stuff I really wanted/want to do, the stuff that makes my heart sing, IS NOT PAID WORK. Maybe I just haven't found the right career? Or something? But I honestly can't think of what it would be.

Also, I always thought: oh, I like to write, I will freelance/be a reporter/etc and that will be my Dream Job. And then I ran up against that INTERVIEW thing. GAH. NO THANK YOU.

sdw said...

I LOVE this. Thank you. What would make my heart sing? Doing the shows with D used to be fun, fun, fun. Something about dressing up to be someone else and then making people laugh -- there's nothing better, in my opinion. Now I just want to stay home with M. Having her has put way more pressure on work -- it really needs to be something enjoyable to justify being away. I used to like my work -- I liked figuring out the database stuff, helping clients, being efficient and having people "need" me. I liked plotting out a website and working with a writer, designer and a programmer. Moving to this new company -- I feel a bit more like a cog in the wheel. But I still don't hate the work. I hate the commute. What I think I would hate -- production work, like the "pod people" we used to have. Wow, that would be torture.