I have a grand desire to sit in this text box and type, type, typetypetype... all day, even, to make up for not recording the things that have happened in the past week, but even I don't like reading marathon posts. (I find that I skim down to the bottom, read the last few paragraphs, and then skim upward... until I HAVE read the entire thing, even though I didn't want to.)
This is too long already. Here, quick takes:
1. AJ. Reading silently, by himself! He got a Magic Tree House book from the library on Tuesday, read it during Library and after-school care, and by the time I picked him up he had finished SIX chapters! I was floored. He buckled himself in and read it some more during our drive back to the house. An entire new world has just presented itself. I am so excited, and thinking about The Bobbsey Twins (one of my first beloved book series) and other favorites. Must research! Also very glad to have an alternative to the Nintendo DS, although his prowess there is fairly impressive as well. Man, it's wild as kids get older and learn things.
2. KT. Potty training begins soon, I think. No other way to say this, but she is interested in doing her business there, as well as reading "Dora's Potty Book" every night. There is a tiny light at the end of the Huggies tunnel!
3. Date night. We're going to attempt, for the 3rd or 4th time, to see Avatar in 3D IMAX tonight. It was sold out during the holidays, so I'm getting tickets today at noon for the 7 pm showing. Fingers crossed.
4. When the Internet is down, it is difficult to do one's job as a web content manager.
5. I am pretty sad for Conan. I know that seems stupid, but when he was awarded the Tonight Show after all those many years of Leno, I was so relieved. And now they're giving it right back to Leno?? Ugh. The only good thing about Leno's show is when he interviews stupid Americans on the street. Conan's funny just standing there. His beady little eyes? Weird hair? LOVE. Not to mention Andy Richter.
6. DH was the parenting star last night with a disciplinary idea. AJ was sent home with a behavior report from Art class. Who knows why, but he was "cutting erasers off the pencils" in that classroom. ?! No idea. DH suggested that we make him use his allowance to buy new pencils for the Art teacher. Rock Solid. I am going with it. To Target we go.
7. Getting philosophical here at the end, last Sunday during Mass the thing I thought about most was wanting to feel God's presence more in my daily life. Specifically, I prayed to feel "carried" by God. For some reason those were the words. I don't want to feel like I'm slogging through each day. Picking up my feet in heavy boots, plodding over wet grass and stressful tasks. I want to be carried. Perhaps that makes me weak, but aren't we supposed to be, anyway? I already know that it happens -- for instance, this week with the Internet down at the office, I had to work from home 2 days. That allowed me to do some things (like prep for DH's birthday yesterday, and get posterboard for a school project for AJ) that I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise. So I know God's carrying me -- I just want it to feel tangible. So I'm working on that.
More Quick Takes at www.conversiondiary.com. Happy Friday!
7 comments:
So exciting when kids learn to read! I love that my girls can read on their own and Buddy is getting close. AJ might like The Boxcar Children. Also, there are Arthur (PBS kids show) chapter books too, not a series really, but good reading practice with familiar characters.
I agree with the book reading thing. I am dying for my son to learn. We all love the Magic Tree house books in our house - we read them aloud to him right now.
Beverly Cleary is great - Ralph, Ramona, and Henry! Roald Dahl books are fun too. Then there are Newbery award winners like Ginger Pye. All my childhood favs that I cannot wait to share with my kids!
Here's the link to the Newbery award winners: http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia/newberymedal/newberyhonors/newberymedal.cfm
Yeah to potty training, date night and what a GREAT disciplinary measure! GO YOU GUYS!
Ohhh, yes! You guys! Bev Cleary! Boxcar Children! Thank you for helping me remember those. :)
Wow, READING! I cannot imagine how cool that must be! What a brilliant little guy!
Your comment about God carrying you is really sticking with me. That may be a way I can reach my faith a bit, since that's on my list for this year.
i LOVE that pencil idea! i want to file away all sorts of little ideas like this for when i have kids one day... :-)
Conan O'Brien does this thing for a Sesame Street Promo where he yips like a dog and I just crack up EVERY TIME. I've also read interviews with him and he's so funny and dear I want to marry him. I feel like he really got a raw deal and I hope it ends up being one of those things where later it's like, "Whoa, good thing that happened because look at the awesomeness it led to!"
Bubba has known about the Magic Treehouse books for a while, but he's just now started being interested in reading them himself and I'm so thrilled! He also loved Tales of Beadle the Bard by J.K. Rowling.
I love Conan too. Especially when he does his pocket strings. That never gets old for me!
Post a Comment