The food doesn't have to be gourmet. No one's wondering if you used shredded Kraft versus a fancy Brie... they're eating.
The house doesn't have to be spotless. No one's inspecting every corner of yours... they're grateful to be out of their own for a few hours.
The back door doesn't have to be wiped down. No one's looking at the door... they're looking at your face as they walk in.
The house doesn't need redecorating or renovating, even if theirs have been. No one's coming to see your interior walls or your cabinets... they're coming to see each other.
I am so blessed and honored to have known these women this long. THIRTEEN years! What an amazing thing. A "club." Almost like when we were little girls, but better. Every time, I fuss and worry that my hostessing won't be good enough, but it is always fine, always complimented.
I adore my book club friends. I hope they all know that, and I'm not just writing it because they might come read me here today (*waving* Hi, S, G, M!). I may not be their "call on the phone every week" kind of friend (although I'd like that), but these dear friendships are absolutely carrying me through my adult life. They are hugely important to me. They are, I think and pray, for life.
5 comments:
Great reminders for all of us who hesitate to have company more often. I'm impressed that your book club has lasted so long. But then again, my college girlfriends and I have all stayed in touch and those of us that are local get together once a month for fellowship and study. The internet helps the rest of us stay in touch. Yea for friends. :)
That's incredible. You're so lucky! I have those same thoughts before anyone comes over - the worries about the house, and the decorating, and all of it. I need to take a better attitude like yours!
Delurking for a moment to tell you my mother-in-law has great take on this issue. She says, if your coming to see me, come on over. If you are coming to see the house make an appointment! I stress when people are coming and it takes the enjoyment out of having company. I always think if I kept the house the way I like it for company I wouldn't have to freak out when they came,but then all I would do is clean house and that is not happening.The time the house needs cleaning is after the party,right?
I really enjoy reading your stuff.:)
Thank you, Mary, for delurking! Love your MIL's saying. :)
You're very lucky to have friends like this. I've just reconnected with one of mine and she, in turn, introduced me to two other women who have also become good friends.
Post a Comment