Tuesday, January 5

My 2009

It's been great reading everyone's Old Year recaps and New Year's resolutions. The Sundry meme is always a good template to organize those thoughts. I did it last year. It's too long, though, so I'm skipping the stupid questions this time.

I did have the glass of wine (and a half), and as I begin this, am cozied up in the covers at 10 p.m. I rarely bring my laptop to the bedroom, but we have a new laptop now taking the main station in our kitchen/den (thank you, Santa!), so I'm thinking the iBook G4, in its old age, will serve well here for reading and writing before bedtime.

Anyway, here goes.

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
I started a new job. I've done that before, but never with this company. Lots of the new things I did this year were related to this job (which still feels new). Other new things: Traveled with two kids and both sets of grandparents to DisneyWorld (awesome); watched my first-born start Kindergarten, bought school uniforms, made school lunches), went to T-ball games, and rocked a Magazine Drive.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Ugh. Is it funny to talk about failure on the heatlh/fitness resolution? No....? Darn. I exercised a bit more faithfully in '09 than in '08, thanks to the new job -- they had a lunch-hour walking program when I first started -- but it fizzled. See also: Various excuses. I received a Wii Fit+ for Christmas, and DH joined a 24-hour gym, so I'm hopeful there'll be some activity in this department. But frankly, I'm sick to death of making it a "resolution," and even reading of other people making it a resolution. It just needs to be a part of daily life, something that we Do, not something that we Start and Stop doing.

DH and I also hope to organize, declutter quite a bit, and PAINT this year.

4. Did anyone close to you die? DH's paternal grandmother died right before Christmas. We weren't close to her, but the times I'd met her I thought she was a really fun lady. I regret that we never visited her with our kids before she died.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? Last year I said: Muscle tone in my abs, and lower cholesterol. (Um, no.) A pain-free back. (Check!) My side of the bed to myself. (Check!) In 2010, let's see... a fresh coat of paint on the den walls. New boots. New bath towels in at least one bathroom. A chair for our kitchen desk. It's the little things. And maybe that muscle tone, too.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Making dinnertime slightly more bearable. It seems small, but has made a big difference. Dessert happens on Mondays and Fridays only, and everyone gets dessert regardless of how much they ate at dinner. We're still fighting a few dinnertime battles (don't tip your chair back, don't play with your food), but infinitely fewer than before.

9. What was your biggest failure? Unsure if I want to quantify any "biggest" failure. Let's not get so negative. I'm trying to enjoy a little wine buzz, yanno?

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I was ill when things in my former job started going all screwy and desperate. I was injured somewhat when, during Christmas break, my neck and shoulders seized up and wouldn't relax for a week or so (was it viral or muscular? hard to tell...) And how about this, I was ill when my coworker injured herself and worked from home for 8 weeks, because she shifted a lot of her busywork to me. Rrrrr.

11. What was the best thing you bought? iPhones.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My parents' and DH's parents'. Each set has come up to stay with AJ as we navigate the novelty of a school calendar and random days off for "teacher inservice" and "fall parent-teacher conferences." AJ's behavior, for trying something new (T-ball) and doing his very best. KT's, because she's awfully cute. ;)

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? My own, on several occasions.

14. Where did most of your money go? We had quite a bit of car repair and maintenance going on this year. Thank goodness we paid the loan off in May, or even more would have gone to the "car" column.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? DisneyWorld and staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Battlestar Gallactica. iPhones.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
Happier. No, really. Last year this time I was commuting an hour each way, every day, and not enjoying the work, either. This year, 6 miles. Better work. WOOT!
b) thinner or fatter? Fricking same. Same, same, same.
c) richer or poorer? Overall, richer, I think. But not much.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? date night

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Spanking. I mean, we don't Spank as in, "I'm getting the belt," but what I realized, and almost put in the "biggest failure" category, is that I definitely have a tendency to WANT to spank in the heat of a fight with the kids (AJ). I know kids sometimes do need a swat on the butt, but I am never proud of it, I try to avoid it. and the realization really stopped me in my tracks. Hard to admit that here.

22. What was your favorite TV program? Even I am bored by this question. We did start watching a new one, though -- Man vs. Food on the Travel channel. Love!

24. What was the best book you read? The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. (I also loved Twilight and New Moon, and am not afraid to admit it.)

25. What was your greatest musical discovery? Pandora.com.

26. What did you want and get? Are you still reading this?? The new job, obvs. And Starbucks gift cards for Christmas.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? Worked. And sulked because a coworker forgot. Big, 35-year-old baby.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? More time to spend helping out at AJ's school, thus allowing me to make friends there. The "insta-friends" I was hoping for haven't panned out yet. I know it's early in our career there, but if I were able to go to volunteer in the classroom, the library, etc., I'd be happier with that situation.

35. Who did you miss? Same answer as always - my Sis and MB, and I feel we've talked even less the last few months. And my parents. You know, I think a lot about why we live here instead of there, and wonder -- desperately? hopelessly? -- about who's going to take care of them as they get older, if we're not there. We're not far, but still.

36. Who was the best new person you met? Actually, our new pastor is pretty awesome. :)

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009. I am getting very tired, here. But I wanted to write about something that inspired me recently. I tried to explain it to DH and it didn't come out right. It's the thought that "I am so much more than this job." Even though I'm happy about the job change, and about having a job at all in this recession, I have to work very hard not to identify solely as "Working Mom," emphasis on "Working." But the importance of my life is not wrapped up in this job. I learned this from watching a few (sour, grouchy) new coworkers who ARE solely empowered by their jobs, and also from a recent homily on motherhood. It's not so much that my calling is to motherhood, or that people whose lives don't include children are "less than." Not at all. It's more a realization that the trappings of office work and business are so miniscule that they're almost laughable; and therefore not worth getting stressed out about. Do good work, full stop.

That's it for me on this one. Lots to do in the year twenty-ten, that's for sure. Looking forward to sharing it here!

3 comments:

Tess said...

I read it all! I did!

I liked what Swistle (I think?) said about success, that not all things are WORTH being successful at. This year I want to be successful at the RIGHT things, and not necessarily everything I do.

Happy New Year my friend!

MaryB said...

Twilight? you liked it? Really? Okay, we might be talking even less now....Just kidding! New Moon was more tolerable.

Miss you too and am refusing to think about the new year. Just not ready yet. Can't really put my finger on why....

But, my word verification is 'broozies"...Im hoping for less of them this year and it doesnt seem like a good omen...

maggie said...

Loved this!

And YES to the spanking thing, something I am TERRIFIED to cop to. I am an Angry Person when the kid tries to pretend I am not the boss of him, and I have PLENTY of those moments in my year as well.